Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Aquastar Anime/Manga Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Sister Princess USA DVD, Dear lord...disappointment all around!
doorknob
Posted: Aug 15 2006, 02:11 PM

Advanced Magic User

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,655

Okay, I love the anime. I loved all the doujins I was able to get my hands on. Hell, I even love the PS1 version of the game despite having little grasp of basic Japanese.

So, when I saw the chance to buy the DVD's, I thought, this ought to be worth the money. And, it was...if I turned down the volume and simply read the english subtitles (and even with my little understanding of the Japanese language, I could tell they incorrectly translated A LOT of parts just to suit the translation).

Lord, the USA dvd translations weren't even worth the cash. I'd stick with the Fansub any day of the week, despite the low Q video, I thought they were better than the USA release.

Wataru, often sound as if he was called Water-ru, had a horrible voice dub. I can understand that his Japanese voice was rather...nerdish/not quite manly, but it's light years better than his American counter part.

Karen's voice was decent, but I know they could've done LOTS better for her. I hated how shakey her voice got at times. Same with Hinako's. Who's voice actually sounded FAR more mature for her. And her Bro Bro made me wanted to kick the girl in the stomach and trample on her voice box! I guess having them go with big bwother was just a little too far out of the box.

Sakuya's voice almost worked for her. I didn't mind it most of the time, save for those few scenes when she was supposed to sound seductive - it ended up sounding like she was announcing the scoreboards at a ball game.

Kaho's voice I almost liked. I really don't have much to say against her.

Haruka...oh god...! That gave her a frikk'n Russian-French-German (and yes they did jump between the three!) accent! Good lord, I hated listening to her. It got to the point where I'd fast forwards everytime she had something to say that was lengthy. Hell, I even skipped the Haruka center episode because I couldn't stand listening to her 'American' voice!

Aria...she didn't say much, but her voice was practically perfect for her.

Ask for the rest of the girls and cast (including Yamada but excluding Akio and Minai) I thought the voices were decent. The translation is off on certain scenes when they really didn't need to be. I think I'll kill the next person who says the word big brother in any variation that I recognize.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that any dub will not measure up to the original japanese version, but at least I was still able to stomach it w/out skipping episodes. This is the first dubbed anime I've watched since I bought Dog Warriors, that I decided to fast forward or skip episodes w/out looking back at what I miss. As well as being one of the few dubs I bought that I'm trying to get rid off on e-bay.

My overall opinion is that the dub wasn't a total crash and burn failure, but it's definitely something that you should watch first before you buy it. I recommend the fansub over it any day of the millinium.
Ryokosha
Posted: Aug 15 2006, 09:34 PM

Traveler of Space and Time

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,872

I don't know, I think the dub was good overall, the biggest problem is in English there is basically only a handful of ways to say "Big Brother" and they needed 13, something they were strecthing for an ran out of by the 13th.

However at least from my point of view that was the only major dub problem.
Zap Electro
Posted: Sep 9 2006, 01:51 AM

Japan: It's ok.

Group: Scanlation/Fansub Projects Team
Member No.: 29

If you want to review a dvd, don't focus 100% on the dub. They offer the subs. What about...the dvd itself?
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Recommendations/Reviews | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1028 seconds | Archive