InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Aquastar Anime/Manga Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (87) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

The Filipino Thread ..., Apparently, the spam has taken over AQS.
RedWolf
Posted: Nov 24 2006, 08:34 PM

It's "-sama"

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,860

Kaon do you even know the definition of racism?

The thread is about those in the community finding commonality.

They're not Neo-Nazi's saying we're better and we hate everyone.

Ignorance makes me want to tsukkomi the world.
shaoron
Posted: Nov 24 2006, 08:56 PM

需要更多「です」

Group: Scanlation/Fansub Projects Team
Member No.: 2,148

i wish to file a complete against kaon for incompetence... no.. just kidding.. i just don't have anything better to do at the moment... tongue.gif

@zaiger
pls no white rap trash slim shadys! sad.gif
Wavehawk
Posted: Nov 24 2006, 09:55 PM

All Decade's Fault

Member No.: 22

QUOTE (Kaon @ Nov 24 2006, 02:37 PM)
This topic is racist and I wish to file a complaint.
- How the hell is it racist? Pinoy din ako, hindi ako na-oofend sa mga kabalsatugan dito. It'snot an issue unless you take offence. If you're filipino and take offence, well then it is. But I don't think it is.

And need I remind you that one of the reasons most of us pinoys could survive one of the crappiest excuses for democracy in the world is because we have a sense of humor.
Kaon
Posted: Nov 25 2006, 06:10 AM

Member No.: 6,265

It was a *&#@ing joke, nationalism != racism.

You're proud of your country (to some extent), there's nothing wrong with that.
shaoron
Posted: Nov 25 2006, 07:12 AM

需要更多「です」

it didn't sound like you were joking, kaon
Boo
Posted: Nov 25 2006, 01:51 PM

Officially NOT Ken Akamatsu

Member No.: 5,640

Well, I think it's better to stay quiet in this kind of discussionas >_>' yet I have to agree with shaoron's last post. On the other hand, if Kaon's assuming that nationalism = racism, it's almost like if he was saying that almost everyone is racist, including himself (what reminds me of an Avenue Q song...)

Well, let me make a kind of off-topic discussion...

What do you think of creating a "cultural board" in the Beyond Anime section, together with the Blue Star Lounge and the Game Room, so people can talk and exchange ideas about this kind of things...
shaoron
Posted: Nov 25 2006, 11:08 PM

需要更多「です」

kaon in his last post used " != "
in programming standards... (or at least C and java) it means "not equal"

anyway.. moving on!

Wala kayo sa lolo ko!
anyone wanna start that kind of discussion? dry.gif
RedWolf
Posted: Nov 25 2006, 11:36 PM

It's "-sama"

Member No.: 4,860

Wala kayo sa lolo ko!

"That's nothing... my grandfather..."

Never met my grandfathers since they're both dead.
boogerboy
Posted: Nov 26 2006, 02:33 AM

Do Tonberries really weigh a ton?

Member No.: 6,232

the list just keeps getting longer. i might be migrating to the US in a year or so..

one of my granddads is still alive.. but he's not um, "kicking"..

nope, dont have any of those "wala kayo sa lolo ko" jokes.. i dont really get what's so funny about them anyway.

Kaon
Posted: Nov 26 2006, 03:26 AM

QUOTE (shaoron @ Nov 25 2006, 07:12 AM)

Given the content, I figured it would be evident. I suppose I overestimated the crowd here.
-epyon-
Posted: Nov 26 2006, 07:25 AM

between love and legs, which are you willing to spread...?

Member No.: 5,180

QUOTE (monkey2k @ Nov 23 2006, 07:46 AM)
Well to be honest, I'm leaning more on the pro side. The UP system isn't getting enough funds from the government, so if they don't do something like this, the quality of education, not to mention the poor teachers, will be affected. But of course, I don't pay for my tuition (my parents do), so I don't know how others who are in a more difficult situation are feeling.

hahaha!!!

i thought that i would be the only one in the UP community who doesn't side with the USC!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

the only reason that they have been branded as the "UP Community", is because they have the power (authority due to position), money (because of our being wasted funds for rallies they do), and the noise that they are able to do.

i do see the side of the pro and anti, but the anti seems to be too closed-minded about the benefits and the real reason for the increase (though it might hurt). i pity roman for being the center of attraction of our community today.

anyway...

let's see...

QUOTE (Kaon @ Nov 26 2006, 03:26 AM)

Given the content, I figured it would be evident. I suppose I overestimated the crowd here.

hmmm...

apparently, the word "racist" isn't meant to be a joke.

one will have a hard time (if they can at all) to express the word "racist" as a joke.

and that same word is never supposed to be used on making jokes because it (the word) is a very offending word that insults the people whom are being called as one.

now Kaon, please put in mind that you are not to use that word again ever unless you want to insult them (and offend).

it's not you, overestimating the crowd. it's more likely that you are looking for people who will adjust to your "jokes", which of course, will mostly wouldn't happen.

do try to make more "decent jokes" next time, not only in this thread, but on all forums which you are to reply on to. that way, people will give more respect to you because not all people find your posts funny.

okay then, i've been talking about nonsnse too much. there's no need now for us people to get offended, do we? since Kaon has already said that it was a joke (according to his post anyway, which i don't know if true. but since he said it, i shall then consider it as true.) let's just relax and have a good time, okay? cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif
Invader G'rr
  Posted: Nov 26 2006, 02:23 PM

宇宙人 ロボ

Group: Moderator Team
Member No.: 269

For all of us who wants to learn Tagalog/Filipino, here is something G'rr dug up from our best friend the Internet...

Before we begin, open up your handy-dandy English-Tagalog/Tagalog-English Dictionary for definitions...

Umpisahan na natin! Let us start!

FILIPINO 101

The Official Filipino Alphabet
The official Filipino alphabet (as decreed in 1987) comprises 28 letters -- the 26 letters of the English alphabet plus ñ and ng.

a b c d e f g

h i j k l m n

ñ ng o p q r s

t u v w x y z

Previously, the alphabet taught to Filipino children in Philippine schools consisted of 31 letters -- the basic ABAKADA Tagalog alphabet, as developed by Lope K. Santos in the 1930s, plus c, ch, f, j, ll, ñ, q, rr, v, x, and z.

Note: In 2001, the Commission on the Filipino Language (Komisyon sa Wikang Filipino) issued "Revisyon ng Alfabeto at Patnubay sa Ispeling ng Wikang Filipino" -- revised guidelines on the use of c, f, j, ñ, q, v, x, and z. Notice the spelling of "revisyon," "alfabeto," and "ispeling."

Note: The ff. lessons G'rr got is from a dawn_lorraine. This is her work.

Hereunder are letters in the Filipino Alphabet that are pronounced as follows:

1. C- K, S

C is pronounced as K if the succeeding vowel is either a, o, or u

Halimbawa (Example):

Filipino - Spanish - English

kusina - cocina - kitchen
kaso - caso - case
Komidor - comidor - dining room

2. CH - TS, S

Halimbawa (Example):

Filipino Spanish English

Tsinelas - Chinelas - Slipper
Kutsaron - Cucharon - Laddle
Tsokolate - Chocolate - Chocolate

3. F - P

Halimbawa:

pista - fiesta - fiesta (feast)
pabor - favor - favor
pabrika - fabrica - factory

4. J - H, S

Halimbawa:

sabon - jabon - soap
hustisya - justicia - justice
hardin - jardin - garden

5. LL - Ly, Y, Liy

Halimbawa:

Kastilyo - castillo - castle
Sipilyo - cepillo - toothbrush
Sibuyas - cebollas - onion

6. N - Ny

Halimbawa:

Sinyorita - Señorita - Miss
kanyon - cañon - canon
pinya - piña - pineapple

7. Q - K

Halimbawa:

keso - queso - cheese
makina - maquina - machine
tanke - tanke - tank

8. RR - R

Halimbawa:

Karosa - carroza - carriage
karera - carrera - race
baril - barril - gun

9. V - B

Halimbawa:

bintana - ventana - window
bakante - vacante - vacant
labandera - lavandera - laundrywoman

10. X - Ks H

Halimbawa:

Tagalog - Spanish - English

boksing - - boxing
taksi - taxi - taxi
Mehiko - Mexico - Mexico

11. Z - S

Halimbawa:

siper - - - zipper
sapatos - zapatos - shoes
serbesa - cerveza - beer

G'rr added the "ng" coz either dawn_lorraine forgot to or she's planning on including it later.

12. Ng (Nang) - Ng (Nang-)

Pronounciation of the second one is like the first one but the 1st two letters are no longer pronounced. It's like saying the word Nang but the "na" part got omitted in editing and you only here the last part which is "ng".

Halimbawa:

Filipino - English

ngawit (nanga-wit) - numb
mga (ma-nanga) - the (plural)

Gamit ng May at Mayroon

The use of May has, have and mayroon has, have

Ang May (pronounced like "my" in English) ay ginagamit kapag ang sumusinod na salita ay pangngalan, pang-uri, pang-abay ay pandiwa.

May is used if the word that follows is either a noun, adjective, adverb, or verb

Halimbawa:

a. May bata (noun) sa duyan. There's a child in the cradle.

b. May magandang (adjective) tanawin sa Lawa ng Laguna. There's a beautiful scene in Laguna Bay.

k. May nag-aaro (verb) sa bukid. There's (someone) plowing the field.

d. May bukas pang darating. There's still tomorrow to come.

Ang May ay ginagamit din kapag ang sumunod na salita ay isang panghalip na paari.

May is also used when followed by an article mga and preposition sa
Halimbawa:

May mga taong sumpungin. There (May) are moody people.

Tayo ay may mga tungkulin sa ating bayan. We have duties to our nation.

Ang Mayroon ay ginagamit kapag sinusundan ng kataga, tulad ng din, daw, yata.
Halimbawa:

Mayroon yata siyang gustong sabihin sa iyo. I think she/he has something to tell you or It looks like she/he wants to tell you something.

Mayroon is used if it is followed by a personal pronoun in the possisive form.
Halimbawa:

Mayroon kaming inihahandang palatuntunan para sa Linggo ng Wika. We have a program prepared for the Langiuage Week.

Ang mayroon ay ginagamit bilang panagot sa tanong. Mayroon is used to answer a question.
Halimbawa:

Tanong Question:

May klase ka pa ba? Do you still have a class?

Sagot Answer:

Oo, mayroon pa. Yes, I still have.

Mga Bahagi ng Pananalita
Parts of Speech

Pangngalan - Noun

Panghalip - Pronoun

Pang-uri - Adjective

Pandiwa - Verb

Pang-abay - Adverb

Pangatnig - Conjunction

Pandamdam - Interjection

Pantukoy - Preposition

Pang-ukol - Article

Pangngalan - noun.

Uri (types):

A. Pangngalang Pambalana (common noun).
Ito ay tumutukoy sa tao, pook o bagay sa pangkalahatang diwa at karaniwang nagsisimula sa maliit na titik. This refers to a person, place or thing in a general sense that always start with a small letter.

Mga halimbawa – examples:

aklat – book

ulan – rain

tubig – water

pusa – cat

dagat - sea

laot - ocean

B. Pangngalang Pantangi (proper noun). Ito ay tumutukoy sa isang particular o tanging tao, hayop, bagay, pook o pangyayari. Ito ay palaging nagsisimula sa malaking titik. This refers to name of a specific person, animal, thing, place or event. This always starts with a capital letter.

Mga halimbawa:

Maria

Willy (the whale)

Egypt

Independence Day

Iba pang uri ng Pangngalan (other types of noun):

A.Tahas (concrete noun)
Ito ay tumutukoy sa mga bagay na nararamdaman ng diwang pangangatawan: hipo, paningin, panlasa, pandinig at pang-amoy. This refers to things perceived by the physical senses: touch, sight, taste, hearing, and smell.

Mga halimbawa (Examples):

mangga – mango

pabango - perfume

kulay – color

unan – pillow

B. Basal (abstract noun) Ito ay tumutukoy na anumang bagay na hindi nararamdaman ng limang diwang pangangatawan,at ito ay kabaligtaran ng pangngalang tahas. This refers to anything that you cannot perceive by the five physical senses.

Dalawang uri ng basal na pangngalan - Two types of abstract nouns

1. Palansak o di nabibilang (uncountable)

halimbawa (example):

kabataan – childhood

katarungan – justice

hangin – air

2. di-palansak o nabibilang countable

Mga halimbawa - examples:

taon – year

araw – day

sangay – branch (of government or office, not branch of a tree)

Kailanan (number):

A. Isahan - singular

mga halimbawa (examples)

buto – seed

bunga – fruit

papel – paper

lampara – lamp

Ito ay gumagamit ng mga pantukoy na: ang, ng, si, kay, at ni. This uses the articles ang (the), ng (of), si, kay (or, of,) ni (by [a person]).

B. Dalawahan - dual

Halimbawa (example):

mag-asawa – (married) couple

magkaibigan – friends

magkatuwang – partner

magkasintahan – lovers

Ito ay madalas ginagamitan ng salitang ‘kapwa’. The dual noun usually use yhe word ‘kapwa’ (both).

C. Maramihan - plural nagagawang maramihan ang isahan sa pamamagitan ng pagdagdag ng mga sumusunod ng mga katagang: ang mga, ng mga, sa mga, daan-daang (hundreds), libu-libong (thousands) singular nouns are made plural by adding 'ang mga', 'ng mga'. 'sa mga', 'daan-daang' (hundreds), 'libu=libong' (thousands)..

Ito ay gumagamit ng mga pangtukoy ang mga, ng mga. This uses the article 'the' (and noun word plus ‘s’ or ‘es’)

Kaanyuan (Form)

A. Payak (simple)
– Ito ay pangngalan na walang lapi, at kadalasan ay salitang ugat. This is a noun with no affixes, almost always a root word.

Mga halimbawa-examples:

tao – person

manok – chicken

gamot - medicine

B. Maylapi - affixed– Itong mga pangngalang ito ay maylapi ayon sa sumusunod: These nouns are affixed as follows:

1. Prefix – unlapi mga halimbawa – examples:

Manggagamot – doctor (root word is gamot, which means medicine)

Or:

Mandaragat – fisherman, root word is dagat, which means sea

Note that if the first syllable of the root word is ‘da’,(in dagat) it is supposed to be repeated as ‘mandadagat’ for fisherman, but it changes to a more correct noun ‘mandaragat’

Another example:

Mananayaw – dancer, root word is sayaw which means to dance

Note again, that if the first syllable to of root word is ‘sa’ (in sayaw) and to make a noun out of the root word, it is supposed to become ‘mangsasayaw’, but it is changed to a more correct noun ‘mananayaw’

Another similar example:

ManiningilDebt collector, root word: singil which means to collect payment for debt

Again, the first syllable of the root word ‘si’ is repeated, and supposed to be ‘mangsisingil’ but it is changed to ‘maninigil’

2. Infix – gitlapi

mga halimbawa – examples:

Sinaing - cooked rice, root word is saing, which means to cook

Tinapasmoked fish, root word is tapa which means to smoke

3. Suffix – hulapi

mga halimabawa – examples:

bigasanrice dispenser, root word is bigas, which means rice

silanganeast, root word is silang which means to rise or be born

gupitanbarber shop, root word is gupit, which means to cut (hair or nail or grass)

4. Kabilaan (both sides) – Kung ang salitang pangngalan ay may unlapi at hulapi. When the noun word is prefixed and suffixed.

Mga halimbawa:

Palaruanplayground, root word is laro which means to play

Pagamutanhospital, root word: gamotmedicine

5. Laguhan – kung ang salitang ugat ay may unlapi, may gitlapi, at may hulapi. When the root word is prefixed, infexed and suffixed.

Mga halimbawa:

Sansinukubanthe whole world --- san as unlapi (prefix), in as gitlapi -infix and an as hulapi (suffix). Root word: sukob – shelter

Napagsusumikapanaccomplishment (literal meaning is what had been strived for) – napag as [iiprefix, um as ifix, an as suffix. Root word: sikap – to strive

Tagapagdinuguanblood dish cook, literal meaning is the one assigned to cook the blood dish: tagapag prefix, in as infix, an as suffix. Root word: dugo – blood.

C. Inuulit (repeated) – Kung ang salitang pangngalan ay inuulit, o salitang ugat, o payak o kaya nama’y maylapi. When the noun word is repeated, or the root word, or simple noun, or affixed.

Mga halimbawa:

Bahay-bahayanplayhouse, root word is bahay, which means house

Tau-tauhanrobot, root word is taohuman being, person

example in a sentence:
Tinuturing mong parang tau-tauhan ang kaibigan mo – You are treating your friend like a robot.

Kuro-kuro – opinion
Alaala – memory, remembrance

Kilikili – armpit

Binibini – lady

Paruparo – butterfly

C. Tambalan (compound) – kung ang pangngalan ay binubuo ng dalawang salitang magka-iba ang kahulugan. When the noun is made up of 2 words with different meanings.

Mga halimbawa:

Dahong palay – isang uri ng ahas (a kind of snake):
Dahon – leaf
palay – rice

Bahag-hari - rainbow:
Bahag – g-string
Hari – king

Buntong-hininga - sigh:
Bunton – heap or bunch
Hininga – breath

Dalang-tao - pregnant
Dala – bring
Tao – human being, person

Hampas-lupa - vagabond
Hampas – to whip or hit
Lupa – soil

Without the hyphen, these compound words can be written as:

Dahumpalay – kind of snake

Bahaghari – rainbow

Buntonghininga - sigh

Dalantao – pregnant

Hampaslupa - vagabond

Kasarian (Gender)

A. panlalalaki – masculine

hari (king)

prinsipe (prince)

B.Pambabae – Feminine

reyna (queen)

prinsesa (princess)

C. Di-tiyak – Common

manlalangoy - swimmer

guro - teacher

D. Walang Kasarian – Neuter

mesa - table

kusina - kitchen

Ang Panghalip – The Pronoun

Ang panghalip ay isang bahagi ng pananalita na ginagamit na panghalili sa pangngalan. A pronoun is a part of speech that is used in place of a noun

Halimbawa – Example

Si Andres Bonifacio ay isang bayani. Siya ang nagtatag ng Katipunan. Andres Bonifacio (noun) is a hero. He (noun used in place of Andres Bonifacio) founded Katipunan.

Mga Uri ng Panghalip – Kinds of Pronouns:

1. Panghalip na panao – Personal Pronoun
– ang panghalip na panao ay ginagamit na panghalili sa pangalan ng tao. Am personal pronoun is used in place of a name of a person

Ang mga sumusunod ay mga panghalip na panao The following are personal pronouns:

Ako – I akin – mine
Ko – me kita, kata
Kami – We amin – ours
Atin – our kayo – you (plural)
Inyo – yours (plural iyo – yours (singular)
Mo - you siya – he/she
Kaniya –his/hers kanila – theirs

1. Panauhan ng panghalip na panao – persons of personal pronoun

1.a1. Unang panauhan – first person
– kumakausap (speaker)

Halimbawa:
Ako – I
Akin – mine
Ko – me
Kita (more like me to you - I love you - Iniibig kita; Sinisinta kita; Minamahal kita; Iniirog kita)
Kami – us
Namin – us
Atin – ours
Natin – us
Amin –ours

1.a.2. Ikalawang panauhan – Second person – kinakausap (spoken to)

Halimbawa:

Ikaw, ka, mo, you – you
Kayo, ninyo – your

1.a.3. Ikatlong panauhan – third person pinag-uusapan – the one talked about

Halimbawa:

Siya – he/she
Kaniya – his/hers
Niya – him/her
Nila, kanila – them
Sila - they

1.b.1 Kailanan ng panghalip – Number of pronoun

1.b.1.a Isahan - Singular

Halimbawa:

Ako – I
Akin – mine
Ko – me
Ikaw, ka – you
Iyo, mo – your

1.b.1b Dalawahan – Duo

Halimbawa: kita – us

1.b.1.b Maramihan – Plural

Kami – we; tayo – we; amin –ours; naming – our; atin – ours; kayo – you (plural); inyo – yours (plural) ninyo – you, sila – they; kanila –theirs; nila – them

2. Panghalip na Pamatlig – Demonstrative Pronoun – Ang panghalip na pamatlig ay ginagamit sa pagtututo ng tao, hayop, bagay, lunan at pangyayari. A demonstrative pronoun is used to identify a person, animal, thing or event.

Mga panghalip na pamatlig na malapit sa nagsasalita. Demonstrative pronouns which are close to the speaker:

ito, ire, niri, nito, ganito, ganire – this

Mga panghalip na pamatlig na malapit sa kinakausap. Demonstrative pronouns which are close to the peson spoken to:

iyan – that
niya – her/his
ayan, hayan diyan – there

Mga panghalip na pamatlig na malayo sa nag-uusap. Demonstrative pronouns that are far from the person talking to each other:

ayun, hayun – there
iyon, yaon, niyon, noon, doon – that

3. Panghalip na Patanong – Interrogatove Pronoun – Ito ay panghalip na kumakatawan ng pangalan ng tao o bagay. This pronoun is used to represent the name of a person or thing sa anyong patanong. This is used to represent a person or thing in an interrogative form.

Halimbawa:

Ano – what
Anu-ano – what are
Sino – who
Sinu-sino – who are
Alin – Which
Alin-alin – Which ones
Nino – whom

4. Panghalip na pamanggit – ito ay walang katumbas sa Ingles nguni’t ito ay pamanggit sa anyong pang-angkop na kumakatawan sa pangngalan. Ito ay ginagamit na simuno ng sugnay na pang-uri. This has no English term equivalent however, this is used to express in the form of ligature torepresent a noun. This is used as subject in an adjectival clause.

Halimbawa:

1. Ang punong mangga na itinanim ni Juan ay namumunga na. The mango tree which John planted is bearing fruits.

2. Ang taong marunong tumanaw ng utang na loob ay madalas kinagigiliwan. A man who recognizes debt of gratitude is often appreciated.

5. Panghalip na Panaklaw – Indefinite Pronoun ay sumasaklaw ng dami, kaisahan o kalahatan. This covers the quantity, singularity or generality.

Halimbawa:

1. Ang lahat ay nakikinig sa panauhing tagapagtalumpati. Everyone is listening to the guest speaker.

2. Ang madla ay pinag-iingat ng pamahalaan tungkol sa mga nakakahawang sakit. The masses are cautioned to be aware of contagious diseases.

Iba pang mga panghalip na panaklaw – other indefinite pronouns:

Sinuman – whoever

Anuman – whatever

Alinman – whichever

Pawing, lahat – all or everyone

Kasarian ng Panghalip – Pronoun Gender

1. Pambabae – Feminine
2. Panlalaki – Musculine
3. Di-tiyak – Common
4. Walang Kasarian - Neutral

Kaukulan ng Panghalip – Pronoun Case

1. Kaukulang palagyo – Subjective case - kung ito ay ginagamit bilang simuno ng pangungusap. if this is used as subject in the sentence

Halimbawa:

1. Siya ay nakahandang tumulong sa mga batang langsangan. He is ready to help the street children

2. Tayo ay nakapag-ipon ng sapat na salapi. We have saved enough money.

3. Sila ay mga taong maasahan. They are people who can be relied on.

2. Kaukulang Paari – Possesive case. Ito ay nagsasaad ng pang-aangkin nag isang bagay sa loob ng pangungusap. It shows ownership of something in the sentence.

Halimbawa:

1. Ang bukid nila ay hindi malayo mula dito. Their farm is not far from here.

2. Ang aking ama ay isang mangingisda. My father is a fisherman.

3. Kaukulang Palayon – Objective Case ay ginagamit na layon ng pang-ukol o pandiwa. - is a pronoun used as object of preposition or verb.

Halimbawa:

1. Ito ay mabuti para sa atin. This is good for us.
2. Ang bukid ay inararo niya. The farm was plowed by him.

Pang-uri - Adjective

Ang Pang-uri ay bahagi ng pananalitang nagbibigay turing sa pangngalan o panghalip.
An adjective is a part of speech that modifies a noun or a pronoun.

tuyong dahon – dry leaf
batang masaya - happy child
Sila’y magaganda - They are beautiful
Kayo’y malulusog - You (plural) are healthy

Uri ng Pan-uri

A. Panlarawan – Qualitative/Descriptive ay mga pang-uring naglalarawan ng kulay, hugis, anyo o katangi-an ng tao, bagay, lunan o pangyayari. - are adjectives that describe the color, shape, form or characteristics of a person, thing, place or event.

Halimbawa:

Pumunta kami sa malayong bayan.
We went to a far town.

Tayo ngayon ay may bagong pag-asa.
We now have a new hope.

Ang Cebu ay isang lalawigang maunlad.
Cebu is a progressive province.

Ang pasan niya ay mabigat.
His load is heavy.

B. Pamilang- Quatitative isang pang-uring nagbibigay dami, bilang o kabuuan. is an adjective that describes quantity, number, or whole.

Ang mga pang-uring pamilang ay ang mga sumusunod:
The following are kinds of quantitative adjectives:

1. Patakaran – Ito ay ang karaniwang paraan ng pagbilang. {i]This is the usual way of counting

Halimbawa:

Sampung mag-aaral ang tumanggap ng paghanga.
Ten students received appreciation.

Sanlibong punongkahoy ang itinanim ng mga magsasaka.
A thousand trees were planted by the farmers.

2. Panunuran - nagsasaad ng ayos o pagkakasunud-sunod ng mga tao o bagay. - denotes order or sequence of a person, thing or event.

Halimbawa:

Siya ay ikalawang humingi ng tulong.
She/He was the second who asked for help.

Ako ay ikalima sa hanay.
I am fifth in line.

3. Patakda - ito ay nagsasaad ng tiyak o hustong bilang. - this describes a definite count.

Note: Karaniwang inuulit ang unang pantig ng salitang ugat sa pang-uring patakda. The first syllabus of the root word of an adjective is usually repeated in pang-uring patakda.

Halimbawa:

Sasampung piso ang natira sa pera niya.
Only ten pesos was left of her/his money.

Si Teresa ay nag-iisang anak.
Teresa is an only child.

4. Pahalaga - Ito ay tumuturing sa halaga ng isang bagay. This describes the cost of a thing.

Halimbawa:

Tiglilimampiso ang bili ko sa mga aklat na ito.
I bought these books for 50 pesos each.

Mamera ngayon ang halaga ng mga bayabas.
Guavas now cost a cent each.

5. Pamahagi – nagsasaad ng pagbabahagi ng isang kabuuan. - describes the parts of a whole.

Halimbawa:

Kalahatiang ibinigay ko sa kanyang buwanang sahud.
I gave her/him half of her/his monthly salary.

Kunin mo ang ikatlo ng pizza.
Take one-third of the pizza.

Tatlong-kapat ang nabawas diyan.
Three-fourth of it is taken.

6. Palansak – nagsasaad ng maramihan o minsanang bagay. - describes mass quantity or the definite quantitative feature of an object.

Halimbawa:

Daang-libong piso ang pinuhunan ko sa kalakal.
I invested hundreds of thousand pesos in the business.

Ang sasakyang ito ay may upuangpandalawahan.
This is a two-seater vehicle.

Mga anyo ng pag-uri – forms of adjective

1. Payak - Simple Ito ay binubuo ng salitang ugat at walang panlapi. This is composed of a root word and has no affix.

Halimbawa:

Namangha ako sa ganda ng Bulkang Mayon.
I was amazed by the beauty of Mayon volcano.

Ang ina ay dakila para sa karamihan.
A mother is great for most people.

2. Maylapi – Affixed Ito ay pang-uring binubuo ng salitang ugat at panlapi. This is composed of a root word and an affix.

Halimbawa:

Ang mga magulang niya ay mayaman.
His parents are wealthy.
Root word: yaman – wealth

Ang bata ay maingay.
The child is noisy.
Root word: ingay – noise

3.Inuulit - Repeated inuulit ang salitang ugat o unang pantig ng salitan. - root word or the first syllable of the word is repeated.

Halimbawa:

Mabuti-buti na ngayon ang lagay ng panahon.
The weather is a little better now.

Ang mga mag-aaral ay masiglang-masigla.
The students are very happy.

4. Tambalan – Compound dalawang pang-uring pinagtambal. - two adjectives paired together.

Halimbawa:

Ang paborito kong kulay ay murang-dilaw.
My favorite color is light-yellow.

Biglang-yaman ang mga Santos ng Bulacan.
The Santoses in Bulacan became wealthy all of a sudden.

Kalanan ng Pang-uri – Number of adjective

1. Isahan – Singular nagbibigay turing sa iisang pangngalan o panghalip. - describes a noun or a pronoun.

Halimbawa:

Siya ay masunurin na bata.
She/he is an obedient child.

Si Rizal ay magiting na bayani.
Rizal is a valiant hero.

2.Dalawahan – Dual nagbibigay-turing sa dalawang pangngalan o panghalip. - describes two nouns or pronouns.

Halimbawa:

Ang mag-asawa ay magagaling na manlalangoy.
The couple are good swimmers.
Si Juan at si Pedro ay kapwas matutulungin.
John and Peter are both helpful.

3. Maramihan - Plural nagbibigay-turing sa higit sa dalawang pangngalan at panghalip. - describes more than two nouns or pronouns.

Halimbawa:

Maraming mga magagandang tanawin sa bayan niya.
There are many beautiful sceneries in her/his town.

Ang mga mag-aaral na masisipag ay kinilala.
The industrious students were recognized.

Mga Kaantasan ng mga Pang-uri – Degrees of Adjectives

Ang pang-uri ay may tatlong kaantasan:
An adjective has three degrees:

1. Lantay – Positive tumutukoy sa tanging katangian ng pangngalan o panghalip. - describes the specific characteristic of the noun or pronoun.

Halimbawa:

Ang bawat pook ay tahimik.
Every place is quiet.

Siya ay maaga.
She/he is early.

2. Pahambing – Comparative nagpapahayag ng magkatulad o magkaiba ang kalagayan ng isang pangngalan o panghalip. Ang pahambing na pang-uri ay may dalawang kalagayan: magkatulad at di-magkatulad. - expresses either the same or different states of a noun or pronoun. A comparative adjective has two states: the same and different.

Halimbawa:

Magkatulad / Same:

Kasinghusay ni Lito ang kapatid niya pagdating sa paglililok.

Lito’s brother is as good as him when it comes to carving.

Di-magkatulad / Not Same:

Si Mario ay di-gasinong matangkad kaysa kay Pablo.
Mario is not as tall as Pablo.

3.Pasukdol – Superlative nagpapakilala ng nangingaibabaw o namumukod na katangian ng pangngalan o panghalip. - expresses highest and distinct state of the noun or pronoun.

Halimbawa:

Si Andrea ang pinakamaganda sa kanilang lahat.
Andrea is the most beautiful of them all

Ang mga anak niya ay ubod ng sisipag.
Her/his children are very industrious.

Ang pagmamahal ng magulang sa anak ay walang kapantay.

The love of a parent to a child is beyond compare.

Pang-abay – Adverb Ito ay isang bahagi ng pananalita na nagbibigay-turing sa pandiwa, pang-uri o kapwa pang-abay. This is a part of speech that modifies a verb, an adjective or another adverb.

Halimbawa:

1. Darating bukas ang mga panauhin. The visitors will arrive tomorrow

2. Ang iyong kabaitan ay kapuri-puri. Your kindness is praiseworthy.

3. Ang nangyari ay sadyang di-kapani-paniwala. -What happened is simply unbelievable.

Mga Kaanyuan ng Pang-abay - Forms of Adverb:

A. Kataga – Particle – pa, man, din, na - still, yet, also, too, already

Halimbawa:

1. Maganda pa and aklat na ito. This book is still nice.

2. Ang mga anak ay may tungkulin din para sa kanilang mga magulang. Children have responsibilities to their parents too.

B. Salita - Word

Halimbawa:

1. Si Miguel ay tunay na pinagpala. – Miguel is truly blessed.

2. Hindi madaling pumunta sa malayong lugar. – It is not easy to go to a far place.

C. Sugnay – Clause - kapag kami’y dumating, kung kayo’y magkita - when we get there, when we see each other

Halimbawa:

1. Kapag kami’y dumating, buksan mo ang mga ilaw. – When we get there, turn the lights on.

2.Ipakisabi mo nalang ang aking kahilingan kapag kayo’y nagkita. – Please relay my request when you see each other.

D. Parirala - Phrase - sa kabila ng lahat, sa linggong darating - inspite of/despite it all, this coming week

Halimbawa:

1. Siya ay matatag pa rin, sa kabila ng lahat ng pagsubok na kanyang dinanas. He is still tough, despite all the trials he went through.

2. Kami ay aalis patungong Bicol sa linggong darating. We are leaving for Bicol this coming week.

Mga Uri ng Pang-Abay – Kinds of Adverb

1. Pang-abay na Pamanahom – Adverb of Time nagsasaad ng panahon ng pagkanap at sumasagao sa tanong na ‘kailan’. – denotes time when an event occurred, and it answers the question ‘when’.

Halimbawa:

1. Magtatanim ako ng mga puno bukas. – I will plant trees tomorrow.
2. Maganda ang panahon kahapon. The weather was nice yesterday.

2. Pang-abay na Panlunan - Adverb of Place nagsasaad ng pook o na pinangyarihan ng kilos. Ito ay sumasagot sa tanong na ‘saan’. – denotes the place where an act or event takes place. This answers the question ‘where’.

Halimbawa:

1. Tinalo ang ating mga bayani dito. - Our heroes were defeated here.

2.Si Pedro ay nagtanim ng mga gulay sa harapan ng bahay niya. Pedro planted vegetables in front of his house.

3. Pang-abay na Pamaraan – Adverb of Manner. nagsasaad kung paano ginanap ang kilos o pangyayaring isinasaad ng pandiwa. - denotes how the act or the event that was referred by the verb was done.

Halimbawa:

1.Tiklop-tuhod siyang humingi ng tawad. – He asked forgiveness on bended knees.

2.Magalang niyang tinanggap ang mga panauhin. He accepted the guests respectfully.

4.Pang-abay na Panggaano – Adverb of Number sumasaklaw sa bilang, dami o halaga. - this involves number, quantity and value.

Halimbawa:

1. Bihirang kumanta si Maria. Maria seldom sang.

2. Sapat ang pera niya para sa buong lingo. - Her money is enough for the whole week.

5. Pang-abay na Panulad – Adverb of Comparison nagsasaad ng katangiang napapaloob sa pangungusap. Karaniwang ginagamit na hambingan ng pang-uri. – denotes a characteristic in the sentence. Commonly used as comparison of an adjective.

Halimbawa:

1. Lumabas ang ga-mais na pawis sa kanyang noo. A sweat like the size of a corn kernel came out of his forehead.
2. Ang ani nila ay ganun din karami ng ani naming. Their harvest is as many as ours.

6. Pang-abay na Pang-agam – nagsasaad ng di-katiyakan o pag-aalinlangan. denotes uncertainty or doubt.

Halimbawa:

1. Tila hindi maganda ang panahon ngayon. – It looks like the weather is not good today.
2. Dapat sisihin wari ang mga taong nagtitinda ng sigarilyo. – The ones to be blamed maybe are people who sell cigarettes.

7. Pang-abay na Pananong - Interrogative Adverb ginagamit sa pagtatanong ukol sa panahon, lunan, bilang o halaga. – used in asking about weather, place, quantity or value.

Halimbawa:

1. Paano tayo makakatulong sa kanila? – How can we help them?

2. Saan dapat magsisimula ang pagbabago? – Where does change supposed to begin?

8. Pang-abay na Panang-ayon – Adverb of Agreement/Affirmation nagsasaad ng pagsang-ayon o pagtangaap sa kausap. – denotes agreement or acceptance of the speaker.

Halimbawa:

1. Talagang malawak ang kanilang mga lupain. Their estates are really vast.

2. Tunay ngang ang kabataan ay ang pag-asa ng kinabukasan. Indeed the children are the hope of the future.

9. Pang-abay na Pananggi – Adverb of Disagreement/Negation nagsasaad ng pagsalungat o pagbawal. – denotes disagreement or prohibition.

Halimbawa:

1. Huwag mong saktan ang damdamin ng iba. – Do not hurt the feelings of others.
2. Wala siyang magawa buong araw. – There was nothing he can do the whole day.

10. Pang-abay na Panunuran tumutukoy sa sunud-sunod na hanay o kalagayan. – denotes order.

Halimbawa:

1. Sabay-sabay silang sumayaw nang tumugtog ang gitara. – They danced altogether when the guitar played.

2.Si Juan ang kahuli-hulihang nagsalita sa klase. – Juan was the last to speak in class.

11. Pang-abay na Pamitagan – Adverb of Respect nagpapakilala ng paggalang at pagsasaalang-alang. – denotes respect and consideration.

Halimbawa:

1. Opo, mabuti-buti na po ang kanyang kalusugan. Yes Sir/Ma’am, his health is a little better.

2. Mawalang-galang na nga po, maari po ba kayong makausap sandali? Excuse me Sir/Ma’am can I talk to you for a minute?

12. Pang-abay na Panturing - Adverb of Gratitude nagsasaad ng pagtanaw ng utang na loob – denotes recognition of debt of gratitude.

Halimbawa:

1. Salamat sa Panginoon at naalala mo kami. Thank God that you remember us.
2. Mabuti na lamang at lumabas na siya bago mag-umpisa ang sunog. It’s good that he already went out when the fire started.

That's about all G'rr got from dawn_lorraine posts. Her last posts mentions of her plans on discussing about Pandiwa - Verb and the articles Ang - The & Ng - Of but that post was made 12/29/2005! So G'rr don't think she'll be posting back anytime soon... sad.gif

If anyone wants to continue the lesson, it'll be much appreciated! Maraming salamat po! Thank you very much!
Kaon
Posted: Nov 26 2006, 03:34 PM

QUOTE (-epyon- @ Nov 26 2006, 07:25 AM)
QUOTE (monkey2k @ Nov 23 2006, 07:46 AM)
Well to be honest, I'm leaning more on the pro side. The UP system isn't getting enough funds from the government, so if they don't do something like this, the quality of education, not to mention the poor teachers, will be affected. But of course, I don't pay for my tuition (my parents do), so I don't know how others who are in a more difficult situation are feeling.

hahaha!!!

i thought that i would be the only one in the UP community who doesn't side with the USC!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

the only reason that they have been branded as the "UP Community", is because they have the power (authority due to position), money (because of our being wasted funds for rallies they do), and the noise that they are able to do.

i do see the side of the pro and anti, but the anti seems to be too closed-minded about the benefits and the real reason for the increase (though it might hurt). i pity roman for being the center of attraction of our community today.

anyway...

let's see...

QUOTE (Kaon @ Nov 26 2006, 03:26 AM)

hmmm...

apparently, the word "racist" isn't meant to be a joke.

one will have a hard time (if they can at all) to express the word "racist" as a joke.

and that same word is never supposed to be used on making jokes because it (the word) is a very offending word that insults the people whom are being called as one.

now Kaon, please put in mind that you are not to use that word again ever unless you want to insult them (and offend).

it's not you, overestimating the crowd. it's more likely that you are looking for people who will adjust to your "jokes", which of course, will mostly wouldn't happen.

do try to make more "decent jokes" next time, not only in this thread, but on all forums which you are to reply on to. that way, people will give more respect to you because not all people find your posts funny.

okay then, i've been talking about nonsnse too much. there's no need now for us people to get offended, do we? since Kaon has already said that it was a joke (according to his post anyway, which i don't know if true. but since he said it, i shall then consider it as true.) let's just relax and have a good time, okay? cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

What the hell are you, the internet board of censorship or something? Please, learn to recognize sarcasm when you see it.

BTW, I thought it was impossible to post a dictionary on a forum. I guess G'rr proved me wrong.
Nanaya
Posted: Nov 26 2006, 05:22 PM

ハイパー武器英雄

Member No.: 6,300

QUOTE (Kaon @ Nov 26 2006, 03:34 PM)
What the hell are you, the internet board of censorship or something? Please, learn to recognize sarcasm when you see it.

BTW, I thought it was impossible to post a dictionary on a forum. I guess G'rr proved me wrong.

Careful now, not all people can understand sarcasm nor can you force them to learn all the time.

I think when people registered here, the stuff we agreed on said something about respecting or something... well, never mind.

(@o@)
shaoron
Posted: Nov 26 2006, 09:45 PM

需要更多「です」

@kaon
somethings aren't ment for sarcasm... others need to see HOW you say it to know it's sarcasm or not... better add sarcasm tags next time...
cypherzero
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 12:31 AM

My voice is purgatory, I embody penalty for thy wayward soul

Member No.: 6,152

@G'rr

DAMMIT! why didn't those teachers just give me something like that when i was in grade school! angry.gif

*prints G'rr's post (yea seriously... i printed it)
-epyon-
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 04:00 AM

QUOTE (Kaon @ Nov 26 2006, 03:34 PM)

first of all, i would like to clarify to everyone that i am not a mod or anyone powerful in this forum so i don't have any power to censor anything (not that i would do so even if i had the power to do so)

next.

i do recognize sarcasm. yet i don't care whether you think i don't recognize your sarcasm or not. it's not what i'm pointing at when i quoted your post anyway. it's your manner of talking.or replying/posting on the net in this case.

third.

you didn't put anything that states that your post is a sarcasm/joke/whatever you want to brand it. don't expect that everyone will understand your mindset because not all have the same idea that you have when you post.

finally, as i have recommended you before, please do try being a bit more respectful. your'e just new here (not that i care since i was once new here too). yes i understand. however, the people whom you are talking to aren't as close to you as you think they are (and they aren't as close to me as i know), thus making them more sensitive about words.now, why don't we be a bit more careful about other's feelings when replying okay? cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

that way, all will be fine.

well, that's all for now, Kaon. just my friendly (maybe a bit rude but sometimes useless biggrin.gif; biggrin.gif; biggrin.gif; ) advice.

okay...

back to the topic.

G'rr-sama...

that's too much research, you know... mellow.gif; mellow.gif; mellow.gif;

strange that you have the patience to work on that.

*suspicious...* (just kidding)
tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif
shaoron
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 04:07 AM

需要更多「です」

@epyon
he posted that same thing (divided into 3-4 seperate posts) in mel's boards!
-epyon-
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 04:24 AM

QUOTE (shaoron @ Nov 27 2006, 04:07 AM)
@epyon
he posted that same thing (divided into 3-4 seperate posts) in mel's boards!

what?

him being sarcastic or him making a joke?

let's just drop his issue.

chill.

we shouldn't bombard him with anything disrespectful or annoying just because he did those things before.

relax and forget about what he has done and posted.

let's try being a bit more peaceful, 'kay? cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

(i think that i'm starting to move towards a domain which i shouldn't have been moving to in the first place...)
shaoron
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 04:25 AM

需要更多「です」

he actually posted over tehre first as a request from mel wanting to learn filipino gramatical structure...

i didn't do it because i simple suck at gramar... in ANY language!

and it's not being disrespectful anyway...

not if mel has her way on g'rr and hangs him
monkey2k
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 06:47 AM

Colourist Regiment's Noob

Member No.: 6,147

I think some clarification is in order.

-epyon-, shaoron was actually reffering to G'rr's very long "Tagalog lessons", not Kaon's posts.

Well anyway, Pacquiao's grand reception here in the Philippines still isn't over, there was still his arrival in Gen. Santos today. While I'm not really that into sports, I have to express my admiration for him. Not so much as his victories, but the way he puts up with everyone fussing over him. The whole friggin' nation celebrated his homecoming, and frankly that had to be pretty tiring for Pacquiao. Concerts, rabid media, calls from the president, I would have snapped from all that if I were him. Thankfully he got through it without flying into a boxing rage at one of the mediamen. ^^
cypherzero
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 07:32 AM

My voice is purgatory, I embody penalty for thy wayward soul

Member No.: 6,152

QUOTE (monkey2k @ Nov 27 2006, 07:47 PM)
The whole friggin' nation celebrated his homecoming, and frankly that had to be pretty tiring for Pacquiao. Concerts, rabid media, calls from the president, I would have snapped from all that if I were him. Thankfully he got through it without flying into a boxing rage at one of the mediamen. ^^

ZOMG! he is getting ready for elections!!! ninja.gif
-epyon-
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 07:38 AM

QUOTE (monkey2k @ Nov 27 2006, 06:47 AM)
-epyon-, shaoron was actually reffering to G'rr's very long "Tagalog lessons", not Kaon's posts.

alright...

i clearly misunderstood what shaoron meant.

i apologize to Kaon whom i mentioned at my earlier post since i misunderstood whom shaoron meant (since i was talking about Kaon when shaoron suddenly posted another topic >.< >.< >.<)

i also apologize to shaoron for not understanding what he meant earlier.

anyway, no offense, monkey2k, but i am already sick of the news about Manny Pacquiao. there's no more news which show what news is supposed to show. all are just what people want, not what people need. and that includes the almost 1 week (and still ongoing) news about Pacquiao. i just want some decent news, yet it's hard to find any nowadays since it also feature news (or rumors) about showbiz personnels, etc (yes, Pacquiao included).why don't they just put those "chismis" on talkshows and not on the news?!?

QUOTE (cypherzero @ Nov 27 2006, 07:32 AM)
ZOMG! he is getting ready for elections!!! ninja.gif

yes, seems like news is not far from impossible.

yet, i wouldn't want him to run for an office in the gov't. he doesn't have something a politician have. and that is dirt of politics.

he better should not fight for a seat or he might lose all that he saved.dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif

oh well. i'm getting off track again.
monkey2k
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 07:44 AM

Colourist Regiment's Noob

Member No.: 6,147

Lol, non taken epyon..And I do know what you mean, there are a lot more serious issues that need our attention. But unfortunately, the media only goes for what would be popular to their viewers. So sad..
shaoron
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 07:48 AM

需要更多「です」

speaking about pacquiao...
have you guys seen his new house?
it was shown in Sports Unlimited on saturday evening...
heck! that place is a mansion! i forgot how many rooms that place have... he's got a swiming pool, little shack near it (could be conidered a small house) and everything's IMPORTED! furnitures from spain, roof tiles from japan... just to name the few that i remember!

and the entertainment room! wooo!
around 12 people caan have a lan party there and still enough rom for the 360, PS3 and the wii!
-epyon-
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 07:50 AM

QUOTE (monkey2k @ Nov 27 2006, 07:44 AM)
Lol, non taken epyon..And I do know what you mean, there are a lot more serious issues that need our attention. But unfortunately, the media only goes for what would be popular to their viewers. So sad..

yes.

it's because they (the T.V. stations) want to gain popularity. and what's the best way to gain popularity by showing what's hot.

they forgot that the main reason why news existed was to show what's important to the public. dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif
Invader G'rr
  Posted: Nov 27 2006, 04:23 PM

宇宙人 ロボ

Here are some more Tagalog lessons for ya!

Note: The ff. lesson was compiled by sylv3rblade and his tropa. This is their work...

Greetings:
Magandang Umaga ---> Good Morning
Magandang Tanghali ---> Good Afternoon (though literally "Good Noon", LOL)
Magandang Gabi ----> Good Evening

Kamusta -----> Equivalent of Hello
Paalam -----> Goodbye

Basic Filipino Words you ought to know: (contributed by:rei_kawaii and [zt]Zero)

yes = oo - (uh-uh)
yes = opo - (uh-po) used for someone older or in authority
no = hinde - (heen-deh)
maybe = baka - (ba-kuh)

I/ me = ako (ah-koh)
you = ikaw (e-cow - singular); kayo (kah-yo - plural)
he/she = siya - (c-yah)
they/them = sila - (c-lah)
it/this = ito - (e-to)
we/us = kami/tayo - (kah-me, tah-yo)
yours = iyo - (e-yo)
theirs = kanila - (kah-knee-lah)
mine = akin - (ah-keen)

is/are/am = ay - (I pronouced as long sound or just read as is, aayy)

ugly = panget - (pah-nget)
beautiful = maganda (mah-gun-the)
handsome = gwapo/pogi - (gua-poh, poh-gee)

halimbawa ng pangungusap = sample sentence:
Ako ay panget = I am ugly.
Ikaw ay maganda/gwapo. = You are beautiful/handsome.

Syntax: (contributed by grandkill)
ang salitang "ay" ay ginagamit bilang isang linking verb (the word "ay" is used as a linking verb)

ang salitang "mga" ay ginagamit bago ang salita kung ito ay pangmaramihan (the word "mga" is used before a word if it is in plural form)

mga panghalip (pronouns):
ako - i
siya - he/she
sila - they
kami - we (excluding the one spoken to)
tayo - we (including the one spoken to)
ikaw - you (singular)
kayo - you (plural)

mga halimbawa: (examples)
ako ay gwapo. (i am handsome.)
siya ay matangkad. (he/she is tall.)
sila ay malakas. (they are powerful.)
ang mga aso ay tumatahol (the dogs are barking.)
ikaw ay maganda (you are beautiful.)

tulad ng ilang salita sa ingles, puwede rin itong paikliin (like some english words, these can be truncated)

ako'y gwapo.
siya'y matangkad.
sila'y malakas.
ika'y maganda.

maaari rin itong baligtarin. madalas ginagamit ang baligtad na syntax sa pang araw-araw na pangungusap (it can also be reversed. the reversed syntax are common in every day sentences)

gwapo ako.
matangkad siya.
malakas sila.
tumatahol ang mga aso.
maganda ka.

Phonetics: (contributed by:hyp_kitsune and [zt]Zero)
Unlike the phonetics of the Japanese, where a character only has one pronounciation, the Filipino language is much like the English language in the sense that a single word can mean something totally different depending on how you pronounce it. I'll give examples on that later, on the meanwhile, here's a few practice examples on using Filipino Phonetics.

gusto mo magtanung sa pilipino?
wanna ask a question in filipino?

basic interrogative words:

the 5 W's
Who = Sino (pronounce c-no)
What = Ano (pronounce A-no)
When = Kailan (pronounce Ke-lan)
Where = Saan (pronounce Sa-an)
Why = Bakit (pronounce Ba-kit)

other:
How = Paano (pronounce Pa-ah-no)

Like english these words are placed before the sentence pertaining to a question.

Counting in Filipino: (contributed by:hyp_kitsune)
1 = isa
2 = dalawa
3 = tatlo
4 = apat
5 = lima
6 = anim
7 = pito
8 = walo
9 = siyam
10 = sampu

Upon reaching eleven, a special rule comes up by adding a prefix to the count
11 = labing-isa
12 = labing-dalawa
and soon on until
19 = labing-syam

for twenty to ninety-nine, another rule is used. Instead of labing we add the number of the count in tens, turning them to adjectives so they don't sound silly.
for example:
21 = dalawampu't-isa
22 = dalawampu't-dalawa

63 = anim na pu't-isa (note that for 60, we added na as a conjunction to simply make the statement grammatically correct since the pu't is added to the others which ends in consonants with out it.)

for hundreds, we simply say:
100 = isang daan (translates as One Hundred)
101 = isang daan at isa (translates as One Hundred and One, hence the conjunction at)
102 = isang daan at dalawa
200 = dalawang daan

for higher counts:
1000 = isang libo
10000 = sampung libo
100000 = isang daang libo
1000000 = isang milyon
etc. notice the pattern?

Translation Filipino to English and Vice Versa:
Like most in languages, translation does not require the literal translation of the sentence, phrase or statement which leads to inaccurate and often funny conversions but rather merely on the thought that is meant to be shared.

Example:
Gumising ako kaninang umaga ng maaliwalas ang pakiramdam.
Wrong, literal translation:
Woke I this morning with a clear sensation. (Doesn't make much sense and sounds downright nasty. biggrin.gif)
Correct translation:
I woke up this morning feeling refreshed.

Jolog Speak:
What's a Jolog? Anyway, on with the tutorial
1. Repapips / 'dre (from 'compadre') / 'tol (from 'utol' - brother) - refers to a friend or acquitance and used as the term "buddy"
2. Asa! (You wish!) - a popular insult usually made by pinoys in gaming, having been the target of such means that you're still too weak to surpass his leetness or hit can also be that e/she is merely showing off. biggrin.gif
3. Tropa - refers to one's peers
4. Amfness - a contraction of a Filipino swear word.
5. Adik! (Addict) - refers to someone who's totally into something

Contributors:
sylv3rblade = Thread creator and editor + basic stuff
hyp_kitsune = counting, phonetics
rei_kawaii = Basic Filipino words you ought to know
[zt]Zero = some pronouciations
grandkill = Syntax

Sadly, there's still no lessons for pandiwa (verb). If anyone has any sources, please don't hesitate to share it with us here. Salamat (Thank you.)
Zaigar
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 07:02 PM

Welcome to Oblivion

Member No.: 6,165

Lolx. It feels like as if I'm back in the Philippines re-learning these lessons. xP
RedSteel
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 07:15 PM

viandier

Member No.: 6,164

Now I can say.. I learned something today.
Melissan
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 09:47 PM

Random Magical Cookie Programmer/Donator

Member No.: 5,917

WARNING: I have a tendancy to post excessively irrelevant information that somehow becomes relevant ...
--------------------

Zaigar is filipino too ...?

@ G'rr
I said this on my forums too - Why don't you post a LINK to the source of your info ...? That would make it so much easier to cross-reference information with other data available on the sites that you have quoted. You didn't have to repost it here in entirety ...

With that said, I already know the simple basics. I want to know grammatical specifics, such as VERBAL/ADJECTIVAL CONJUGATIONS per pronoun ... That is the most important thing ...

@ everyone else
About Kaon's comments, drop the subject. The meaning of the word "sarcasm" varies among others, rendering debate highly irrelevant among those who refuse to modify their own opinions. And that is poisoning the purpose of this thread with the standard societal ignorance that I refuse to allow in my presence.
Seyerdin
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 10:21 PM

Gravity Beetle

Member No.: 6,015

@ G'rr

That little section on Filipino words and stuff was useful for me since i haven't spoken a lot of Tagalog since I was 4-5. Thanks, and i did know some of those words biggrin.gif
boogerboy
Posted: Nov 28 2006, 01:51 AM

ahh.. master G'rr.. it's all Greek to me.

okay.. not to that extent. but i read through it.. (most of it anyway) and i still find myself going "ahh" or "now i see".. i still loathe the language, sucked at it completely both in elementary and high school.

@Mel
the subject-verb relationships are there in G'rr's post. err... what did you mean exactly by adjectival/verbal conjugations? maybe i could help. though i dont claim to be a professor in this but i might be able to dispel a bit of your curiosity/confusion.
devil_laugh
Posted: Nov 29 2006, 09:02 PM

Experienced Magic User

Member No.: 6,211

learning Tagalog, huh?

some historical trivia: when magellan and his crew discovered the Philippines, they thought that all Indios (what spaniards called filipinos at that time) had the title of "Ci".

why? that's because when filipinos introduce someone, they say "Si (name of person)," where the word "si" is used as the equvalent of "this is".

off topic: here's a scary pic
user posted image
boogerboy
Posted: Dec 1 2006, 02:10 AM

dun dun DUUUUN!!

lawl.. it's ironic why that large body of water east of the Philippines is called "pacific" or peaceful.. the weather disturbances that come out of there are hardly ever..

and oh yeah.. just a minor correction to master G'rr's post.. Kumusta doesnt translate as hello..it's actually "how are you?" or at least, a shorter version of it..come to think of it, i dont know what "hello" is in filipino. i dont think there is such a word.

ahh.. if only we had a japanese version of G'rr's post, i'd really like to learn that language.. sadly my pc cant read japanese characters..
shaoron
Posted: Dec 1 2006, 02:55 AM

需要更多「です」

it's KAmusta.. no KUmusta...
boogerboy
Posted: Dec 1 2006, 04:41 AM

hontou ni?

one letter makes all that difference then.. ahh well. like i said.. i was never any good at it. botched all my filipino lessons..not completely but it was one of my worse subjects.
Invader G'rr
  Posted: Dec 1 2006, 02:12 PM

宇宙人 ロボ

Actually, boogerboy's "kumusta" is also correct. wink.gif

Equivalent of "Hello" in the different Filipino dialects:

Bikolano -> Kumustas / Marhay na aldaw
Cebuano -> Komosta / Maqayu
Ilocano -> Naimbag nga aldaw
Hiligaynon/Ilonggo -> Maayo / Halo
Kapampangan -> Mayap ayabak
Pangasinan -> Masantós a kabuasán / Maabig ya kabuasán / Masantós ya agew
Tagalog -> Kumustá / Kamustá / Halo / Huy / Mabuhay
Waray-Waray -> Maupay nga aga

Savvy? Still looking for the pandiwa (verb) thing... unsure.gif
boogerboy
Posted: Dec 1 2006, 02:26 PM

i think we got kumusta from the Spanish "como estas" or "how are you?"

they did stay here for 300+ years.. much of the Philippine language was "borrowed" from the colonists..given tweaks here and there, and made official. until it developed into the national language.
Invader G'rr
  Posted: Dec 1 2006, 03:41 PM

宇宙人 ロボ

QUOTE (boogerboy @ Dec 1 2006, 02:26 PM)
much of the Philippine language was "borrowed" from the colonists..given tweaks here and there, and made official. until it developed into the national language.

Not much... only a few...

| Tagalog | Meaning | Language of origin | Original spelling |

dasál = pray = Spanish = rezar
kabayo = horse = Spanish = caballo
silya = chair = Spanish = silla
kotse = car = Spanish = coche
sabón = soap = Spanish = jabón
relós = watch = Spanish = reloj
tsismis = gossip = Spanish = chismes
gyera/gera = war = Spanish = guerra
tsinelas = slippers = Spanish = chinelas
sapatos = shoes = Spanish = zapatos
arina/harina = flour = Spanish = harina
sugál = gambling = Spanish = jugar
baryo = village = Spanish = barrio
swerte = luck = Spanish = suerte
ensaymada = a kind of pastry = Catalan = ensaïmada
nars = nurse = English = nurse
bolpen = ballpoint pen = English = ballpen
drayber/drayver = driver = English = driver
tráysikel = tricycle = English = tricycle
lumpia (/lum·pyâ/) = spring roll = Min Nan Chinese = 潤餅 (春捲)
siopao (/syó·paw/) = steamed buns = Min Nan Chinese = 燒包 (肉包)
pansít = noodles = Min Nan Chinese = 便食 (麵)
susì = key = Min Nan Chinese = 鎖匙
kuya = older brother = Min Nan Chinese = 哥亚 (哥仔)
ate = older sister = Min Nan Chinese = 亜姐 (阿姐)
bwisit = annoyance = Min Nan Chinese = 無衣食
bakyâ = wooden shoes = Min Nan Chinese = 木履
hikaw = earrings = Min Nan Chinese = 耳鈎 (耳環)
hoy = hey = Japanese = オイ
kanan = right = Malay = kanan
tulong = help = Malay = tolong
tanghalì = afternoon = Malay = tengah hari
dalamhatì = grief = Malay = dalam + hati
luwalhatì = glory = Malay = luwar + hati
duryán = durian = Malay = durian
rambután = rambutan = Malay rambutan
batík = spot = Malay = batik
saráp = delicious = Malay = sedap
asa = hope = Sanskrit = आशा
salitâ = speak = Sanskrit = चरितँ (cerita)
balità = news = Sanskrit = वार्ता (berita)
karma = karma = Sanskrit = कर्म
alak = liquor = Persian = الكل (arak)
manggá = mango = Tamil = mankay
bagay = thing = Tamil = /vakai/
hukóm = judge = Arabic = حكم
salamat = thanks = Arabic = سلامة
bakit = why = Kapampangan = obakit
akyát = climb = Kapampangan = akyát
at = and = Kapampangan = at
bundók = mountain = Kapampangan = bunduk
huwág = don't = Pangasinan = ag
aso = dog = Luzon languages = aso
tayo = we(inc.) = Luzon languages

This post has been edited by Invader G'rr on Dec 2 2006, 04:03 PM
devil_laugh
Posted: Dec 1 2006, 07:31 PM

Experienced Magic User

Member No.: 6,211

QUOTE (boogerboy @ Dec 1 2006, 02:10 AM)
lawl.. it's ironic why that large body of water east of the Philippines is called "pacific" or peaceful.. the weather disturbances that come out of there are hardly ever..

historians think that magellan and his crew have sailed during an el niño phenomenon, the only time the pacific ocean is most calm.

lucky bastards. their voyage could have ended in the pacific ocean.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Blue Star Lounge | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (87) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2531 seconds | Archive