zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Aquastar Anime/Manga Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

FLCL
Nephilim DX
Posted: Dec 21 2006, 07:40 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,381

I know I don't need to recommend this to most of you. I just figured I'd throw my contribution in. I wrote this a looong time ago for a site that has long since gone away.

FLCL

Rating:9.5

Very few can claim to have produced an item of total originality; GAINAX is one of the few. With their masterpiece of originality FLCL or Furi Kuri, they pushed the boundaries of what could be understood by the general audience and did things never before done in any anime I'm aware of. If you were to blend some of Evangelion’s mind boggling character depth, Akira's animation quality, music similar to early nineties American rock, a plot so full of underlying connotation that you have to watch it twice to catch even a portion of the symbolism and to top it off with comedy that will have you rolling on the floor, you'd get FLCL. This anim meets the demands of even the hardest of the hardcore otaku unafraid to be whatever the hell it wants.

Naota is a middle school student in a small city who has a little beef with goofing off and people who take things in stride. Simply, he is very serious about everything. While everyone is having a good time he's usually cursing their stupidity for not recognizing the seriousness of the situation. When his Brother moved to America to play baseball, he left his girlfriend Mamimi behind. Mamimi is something of an airhead, which doesn't exactly make her very popular with Naota, or Ta-kun, as she calls him. Regardless of his feelings, she looks to him to fill in for his brother while he's away. His father, "Monny" can be best described as a laid back hippie, so obviously Naota isn't going to listen much of what he has to say. Haruko is a crazy lady who rides a finely tuned motor scooter and wields a bass guitar as a weapon. She displays her skills with this weapon by smashing Naota's forehead with it. Thus is the beginning of his troubles.

The centric focus of the story is around Naota, or rather his head specifically. After Naota has his little accident involving Haruko, he starts growing a horn – a horn that is destined for greatness. These “horns” that Naota grows throughout the series turn into different.... ummmm... whatever you want to call them as I've never seen anything like it. The team at GAINAX must have had a field day designing these. Upon viewing these new creations from Naota’s head, the phrases "Whoa" and "that's.... different" come to mind. These trespassers of Naota's cranium seemingly have some connection with Medical Mechanica, the giant clothes iron shaped factory that overlooks the town.

I can't say enough about the big ball of cool that is FLCL. Unfortunately if I continue, you all might be peeved for spoiling the story. So I'll just say this, if this anime were a food I'd eat till I exploded; if it were a ride I'd take it over and over and over again; if it were beer I'd drink till I passed out; you get the idea. The animation is, for the most part, fluid and very well drawn. The music in certain cases made my stomach wrench tight with emotion. The voice actors played out their parts very well right to the not so bitter end. And finally, the story itself grabbed me and didn't let go till I had seen the last of this wonderful 6 episode series. Call it Furi Kuri, call it Fooly Cooly, call it FLCL – whatever you choose, it all is relative for this is one amazing, awe inspiring and hilarious anime that ANYONE could enjoy.

I'm not entirely sure what I was thinking with that last line.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Recommendations/Reviews | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1258 seconds | Archive