zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Aquastar Anime/Manga Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Required Anime viewing, Whats too good to miss
ChaosHawk
Posted: Feb 28 2005, 06:40 PM

Ancient Ninja Masta!!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

Ok, heres the gimmick with this one. List animes that you absouloutely reccomend people see. You can probably omit things like Dragonball Z and Naruto from this list as EVERYONE and their brother has heard of it. Ok, heres mine:

Love Hina
I My Me Strawberry Eggs
Mahoromatic
Mahoromatic(Something More Beautiful)
Chobits
Ai Yoru Aoshi
Rurouni Kenshin
G Gundam
Onegai Teacher
Onegai Twins
Deviantspy
Posted: Feb 28 2005, 09:54 PM

Magister Magi

Group: Moderator Team
Member No.: 21

huh.gif Hmm?

ChaosHawk, did you purposely leave out Please Teacher in your must watch required anime viewing list?
ChaosHawk
Posted: Feb 28 2005, 09:56 PM

Ancient Ninja Masta!!!

Yipes...I completely forgot about those, shame on me.
erizo
Posted: Feb 28 2005, 10:24 PM

King Lurker, The True Legend of AQS

Group: Co-Admin
Member No.: 7

Neong Genesis Evangelion
jjshaka
Posted: Mar 1 2005, 09:30 AM

Member No.: 45

Shinuboden 2x2- absolutely brilliant.(praying for a 2nd season)
cHuDa-SaN
Posted: Mar 1 2005, 06:59 PM

Chub4ka

Member No.: 8

Gundam Wing
Gundam Seed + Gundam Seed Destiny

unless you hate giant mechas... then otherwise, i thought they were great (Wing is a bit... oldish but i still like it)

EDIT: GX was removed..Though i may like it, most people wouldn't enjoy it too much... my little anime group at school (these guys are well rounded on their anime) didn't like GX too much... and i can't give a good damn reason why you should watch it... so my laziness > me
But Gundam Wing is still good.
erizo
Posted: Mar 2 2005, 08:25 AM

u really think gundam win is too good to miss _??? or even gundam X ?..... thats very poor of u man ... how can u compare those 2 with gundam seed or ZETA gundam ........... THOSE are 2 Gundams series too good to miss .......others are average not to say mediocre.
cīmon ......were talking about SOMETHING TOO GOOD TO MISS ........ I know u guys can do better than that.
Juan|nauJi
Posted: Mar 2 2005, 12:03 PM

Princess of Tentatron

Member No.: 251

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu?

Midori No Hibi
Saishuuheiki Kanojo
Twin Spica
ChaosHawk
Posted: Mar 2 2005, 03:32 PM

Ancient Ninja Masta!!!

QUOTE (erizo @ Mar 2 2005, 07:25 AM)
u really think gundam win is too good to miss _??? or even gundam X ?..... thats very poor of u man ... how can u compare those 2 with gundam seed or ZETA gundam ........... THOSE are 2 Gundams series too good to miss .......others are average not to say mediocre.
cīmon ......were talking about SOMETHING TOO GOOD TO MISS ........ I know u guys can do better than that.

I'll argue with this Erizo, as too good to miss is a matter of opinion. I am a REALLY big Gundam Wing and G Gundam fan, which some people regard as two of the worst series. I've seen parts of Zeta Gundam....and really wasnt impressed. I have not seen Gundam SEED yet but if it doesnt live up to this massive hype everyone says about it, Im going to be majorly dissapointed.
b3arz3rg3r
Posted: Mar 15 2005, 04:20 PM

High Level Magic User

Member No.: 354

QUOTE (ChaosHawk @ Mar 2 2005, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (erizo @ Mar 2 2005, 07:25 AM)

I'll argue with this Erizo, as too good to miss is a matter of opinion. I am a REALLY big Gundam Wing and G Gundam fan, which some people regard as two of the worst series. I've seen parts of Zeta Gundam....and really wasnt impressed. I have not seen Gundam SEED yet but if it doesnt live up to this massive hype everyone says about it, Im going to be majorly dissapointed.

I also liked Gundam Wing, at least half way through the series then it got somewhat boring in my eyes. Gundam Seed, well this one was worth seeing once but nothing really special since in my eyes they could have cut out a quarter of the series and you wouldn't have missed anything. the new Gundam Seed Destiny however is too stupid to even bother with they do the same story all over again with all the same charas and those that died appear again with younger faces but the exact same role. Low budget for extreme Gundam Otakus.

So my tips
of course in first place:

Dragonball Z!!! *evading all stones being thrown at him*
Just kidding I'm no fan of 22 minutes made up of 3 min review 5 minutes muscle bulging of chara A 5 min muscle bulging of chara B 3 min review of both of them muscle bulging 3 min superior muscle bulging of chara A/B and 3 min preview I don't think I left anything out did I?

So here are my real recommendations in no specific order
Cowboy Bebop
Macross Plus
Mononoke Hime
Serial Experiments Lain
GTO
Tsukuyomi Moon Phase
Sabre Rider and the Star Sherrifs
Samurai 7
Samurai Champloo
School Rumble
Captain Future
khell
Posted: Mar 15 2005, 06:46 PM

Magister Magi

Group: Scanlation/Fansub Projects Team
Member No.: 96

Azumanga Daioh
Ai Yori Aoshi + Enishi
Full Metal Panic + Fumoffu
FLCL
Gun Slinger Girls
Galaxy Angel (quite like the simpsons, even tho something weird happends in the end of the current episode, it's like it didn't happened in the next episode)
Hajime no Ippo (boxing)
Haibane Renmei
Jungle wa Itsumo Hale no chi Guu + delux + final (owns in craziness)
Kare Kano
Onegai Teacher + Twins (needs more Onegai Ichigo >_>)
Marimite (Maria Sama Ga Miteru)
Ranma 1/2
Samurai Champloo
School Rumble
Yakitate!! Japan (bread goodness)

Mecha:
Gundam (Original, the 3 movies of the one year war, quite boring if you're not in the mood but a great 3 part movie)
Char's Counter Attack
Shin Getter Robo (Armageddon/End of days)
Gunbuster
I'm fine with G Gundam even tho people say it's a kiddie show, still a friggin' good unit in any SRW game

and....
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (if you want to feel depressed for a couple of days then watch this, i really did felt depressed >__<)
b3arz3rg3r
Posted: Mar 15 2005, 07:00 PM

High Level Magic User

Member No.: 354

QUOTE (khell @ Mar 15 2005, 06:46 PM)
and....
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (if you want to feel depressed for a couple of days then watch this, i really did felt depressed >__<)

Yeah Kimiga is depressing after I watched the last several episodes I had to watch Scryed all over again. senseless and really stupid violence with even stupider characters and storyline is good to get those kind of thoughts out of your head. it was the same with Serial Experiments Lain I always felt as if I were about to cry
KempoCatholic
Posted: Mar 24 2005, 10:07 PM

Fear me, enemies of the light!

Member No.: 68

If you liked Lain, you should look into my favorite anime of all time: Boogiepop Phantom. It's amazing. You know that movie Momentum that has all the jumbled up scenes? It's kind of like a cross between that and Lain. Basically, it's got a really dark, gritty, fascinating storyline that is told all out of order. Not an anime for the faint of heart or people who just want mindless fun, you have to watch it several times through to understand exactly what's happening. If dark, intellectual stories are your thing, you'll fall completely in love with this series.
jopchan121
Posted: Apr 1 2005, 02:50 AM

Homerun NOMNOMNOM .

Member No.: 55

Since you guys named the newer Anime, I will go a bit on the old school side......

Kimagure Orange Road
Maison Ikkoku
Nadia-The Secret of Blue Water
Castle of Cagliostro

Besides the Miyazaki hit, all of the above lasted above 26 eps, but the payoffs of all the series are well worth the wait.....
jdennis007
Posted: Apr 1 2005, 03:49 PM

The Ancient One

Group: Scanlation/Fansub Projects Team
Member No.: 77

Kiddy grade
Please Teacher
Dears
Comic Party
For old school my favorite series is the original Dirty Pair.
Sosseres
Posted: Apr 2 2005, 02:40 PM

Member No.: 1,037

Full Moon wo Sagashite (I know many ppl give up around or before ep 13, but if you don't watch it until atleast episode 42 you don't know what you are missing...).
To Heart (just a nice series, makes you feel refreshed after viewing)
Mahou no Star Magical Emi (I can't say why but it is a very nice series this far (quite old though), only seen until ep 10).
H2 (ahh was quite discouraged when I found out it was about baseball but gonna read that manga soon and also watching live action as it gets fansubbed so definetly worth it).
Mai Hime (just finished the last episode today so might be influenced still, but it had characters one just cared about and some nice fights (even though fighting is just pointless in most animes and mangas)).
Read or Die (both series and ova is worth it, (ova came before series in time) and are somewhat sad in parts, hmm all of these except To Heart *and Magical Emi* have sad and depressing points.. umm just noticed that that is my favourite anime :/)

Ahh can't remember the rest or they were already mentioned :/

*Edit marked within *'s *
Hiro_Daioh
Posted: Apr 5 2005, 04:39 PM

Great King Hiro

Member No.: 12

Might as well post my list.
Maze: Really good series by the same guys as Slayers. Mixes Mech action, Magic and swords, and comedy. Everything a fan could want.

Strawberry Eggs: Really moving series about a teacher trying to overcome a Sexist school and changa the way people think.

Mezzo DSA: Action packed series about a group for hire that will do most anything for cash facing countless unbelievable cases.

Steel Angel Kurumi: Awesome Series about a preist and his adventures with futuristic robo maids trying to save the future. Great romantic comedy. Avoid the 2nd season at all cost.

Azumanga Daioh: One of the greatest comedy series of all time, covering the daily lives of some average school girls.

Excel Saga: Too insane to explain. Great comedy series that most anyone can enjoy.

I'll try and post more later.
jopchan121
Posted: May 3 2005, 03:30 AM

Homerun NOMNOMNOM .

Member No.: 55

I hate to say it but I kinda enjoyed Kurumi 2......Sure, It isn't as good as the 1st series, but it was still pretty good
Hiro_Daioh
Posted: May 4 2005, 09:08 AM

Great King Hiro

Member No.: 12

True SAK2 was good in it's own since but it just left me wanting some more like the original. Woulda been nice though if ADV had released the 3rd season here. It was only 3 episodes long though.

More Reccomended viewing.

Wandaba Style:
A really good comedy series about a boy genuis trying to be the first man on the moon. Problem is people have already been to the moon, his plan is to get there in a method that does not hurt the planet. His loyal allies in this endeavor is a mish-mash pop group named mix Juice, His loyal Robot girl Kiku #8, And his unicycle Icchirin. Really good series that everyone needs to check out.
erizo
Posted: Nov 1 2008, 12:29 AM

I'm necroing this thread just to not create a new one, go ahead and post everything I will clean the whole mess (aka the post that DO NOT include relevant on topic information) and organize it a little bit.

I'll start with Adding

Prince of Tennis to the list you have a few days to post/discuss a little before I go on a rampage deleting/cleaning the thread up smile.gif I'll rearrange and post everything in the first post.
Invader G'rr
Posted: Nov 1 2008, 02:59 PM

宇宙人 ロボ

Member No.: 269

Finished:
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu I
Lucky Star I
Shakugan no Shana I and II
Kamen no Maid Guy I
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
My Wife is a High School Girl

Ongoing:
Detroit Metal City
Blade of the Immortal
Chaos;Head
Kemeko Deluxe!
Ga-Rei -Zero-
To-Love-Ru

G'rr will add some more later...
the_one092001
Posted: Nov 2 2008, 02:40 AM

So I herd u liek mudkipz?

Member No.: 4,603

I'm focusing on series no one else has listed yet:

Blue Submarine No. 6 - Great action, good philosophy (not straight-up shooting) and bonus originality points for focusing on submarines. An oldie but a goodie.

Code Geass - Enough memes came out of this one to make it worth watching, but beware the second season ending.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Also a major lulzcow; a gold-mine of memes. Plus, lolis killing each other.

Outlaw Star - Kinda like Cowboy Bebop. But I liked Outlaw Star more.

Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei - This show is essentially memes incarnate.

And my all-time favorite anime series EVER:

Legend of Galactic Heroes - Space battles on an epic scale, a huge cast of voice actors (the largest VA cast ever), great story that doesn't feel rushed or needlessly drawn out, the works.
Strange_One
Posted: Nov 2 2008, 09:02 AM

I... I REALLY have a thing for Tsundere girls O_O

Member No.: 7,073

Lucky Star and Haruhi nommed by the G'rr already

Clannad and Clannad After story - Comedy with drama. A more sedate series that covers deep social ties and a mysterious underlying story. Not necessarily required, but an excellent one to watch if you have any interest in the above. And there are cute girls in it.

Kara no Kyoukai - Leaving aside my fanboyism - The story is a deep one filled with intrigue. The excellent story is combined with cutting edge animation (I've yet to see anything matching it), top notch VAs and an excellent soundtrack by Kaijura Yuki.
Ijuki
Posted: Jan 19 2009, 04:15 PM

Da hat master!

Member No.: 4,815

Itazura na Kiss... End of story.
OwlyQueen
Posted: Feb 22 2009, 12:23 AM

Member No.: 9,040

To get a lot of memes or inside jokes:
Azumanga Daioh
Code Geass
Death Note
Full Metal Alchemist
Lucky Star
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Sailor Moon
School Days...nice boat
Welcome to the NHK
Zero no Tsukaima
fic7i0n411yr341
Posted: Feb 23 2009, 10:33 PM

Member No.: 4,958

I don't know if they're quite as "required" as some others previously mentioned, but...

Soukou no Strain - Mecha series with a mostly female lead cast. Pretty good mecha fighting, fair amount of fan service. Apparently the story is loosely (really, really loosely) based on "A Little Princess" by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

Crest of the Stars - Apparently a lot of people haven't actually seen this series. Awesome space opera.

Full Moon wo Sagashite - Already mentioned once in this thread, deserves a second time. Stick with it, the plot gets much more interesting about half way through or so. Seriously one of my favorite series of all time.

Bubblegum Crisis 2033 & 2040 - The original series is classic cyberpunk for anyone that's into that. 2040 is a retelling and may be easier to find, also very good.

Princess Tutu - About a duck who turns into a ballerina and dances enemies to death. It's actually pretty awesome. You may recognize it from the Hall om mig AMV.

Carried by the Wind: Tsukikage Ran - Amusing show about an alcoholic female samurai. She picks up an idiot companion and has some amusing adventures.
tenkenX6
Posted: Apr 27 2010, 07:43 PM

Fansubber(TLor/TLCer)

Member No.: 10,948

Definitely anything by Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki.

Also:

The Vision of Escaflowne TV Series
GTO - Great Teacher Onizuka
Cowboy Bebop
Vampire Hunter D(both)
Ninja Scroll(movie & TV Series)
Scrapped Princess
Lupin III(all of it)
Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X
Full Metal Panic Series(Season 1, Fumoffu, and The Second Raid)

OK, I'll stop here. I just wanted to post some random ones that came off the top of my head. heh.gif

This post has been edited by tenkenX6 on Apr 27 2010, 07:43 PM
Senti
Posted: Dec 31 2011, 07:38 AM

Member No.: 11,394

QUOTE (OwlyQueen @ Feb 22 2009, 12:23 AM)
To get a lot of memes or inside jokes:
Azumanga Daioh
Code Geass
Death Note
Full Metal Alchemist
Lucky Star
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Sailor Moon
School Days...nice boat
Welcome to the NHK
Zero no Tsukaima

You mentioned FMA without even mentioning Brotherhood? I... I'm going to cry...

Anyways:

Blood+
.Hack//Roots
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Bokurano
Outlaw Star (Currently watching, and yes, I know it was already mentioned)
Soul Eater

Coincidentally, those are the only dubbed series' that come to mind. I don't really understand why anyone wanted to do Blood: The Last Vampire or Blood-C, which were both failures in my opinion.

Someone explain this !@#*?
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Recommendations/Reviews | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2947 seconds | Archive