zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Aquastar Anime/Manga Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

DJcream's Spring2k7 anime previews, "OMG! He's back!?"
DJcream
Posted: Apr 14 2007, 12:31 AM

Co-hosting AQS Underground/<3 Hisui

Group: Members
Member No.: 23

user posted image

Guess who’s back? Well of course a batch of new spring anime, but also we see the dramatic return of DJcream giving the rundown of what to expect from it. From cute girls in high school, to cute girls in mechs, to cute girl mages, to cute girls…meh you get the idea.

user posted image
Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann
Episodes seen: 1
Who should watch it: Anyone with a love of FLCL or GAINAX in general

Simon is his one of his underground village’s best diggers, while Kamina is one of the village’s most infamous delinquents. By fate, they come together and fight off and massive a massive foreign invader and find themselves above the surface…where many more of those massive enemies just lurk within the shadows.

For a GAINAX production, I haven’t had this much fun since watching FLCL. The story is unique and is carried along with a bunch of interesting characters. The choice in enemy design is something new and awesome; however, the look to Simon’s mech is very lackluster and less ingenious than the rest of the series. For a fun adventure title, this is definitely something I love to kick off the anime season.

user posted image
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS
Who should watch it: Anyone who has seen the previous Nanoha series

Taking place 10 years after Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Girl Nanoha A’s, Nanoha, Hayate and Fate are now working for the Time-Space Administration Bureau. With a bunch of new recruits, the team must work together to save the dimensions.

For someone who hasn’t been following the previous Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha series, it felt a little ackward jumping in blind. It took a while for this new viewer to finally get that all the girls are mages in training. Despite having an anime crush on Subaru (the Yuffie-looking chick on rollerblades), I am not hooked upon its first showing.

user posted image
Hitohira
Who should watch it: Anyone who loves an old-fashioned high school drama/comedy

Stage fright is a common fear among many people, but with Asai Mugi the case is so extreme that her lips will move but nothing will ever come out. Despite this impediment, a few upperclassmen, whom she just met, assures that she can finally overcome her extreme case upon entering the Drama Research Society.

Here’s a really cute series that fit every criteria of the everyday high school anime. Despite the generic disproportion of girls to guys, multicolored hairstyles, and every student stereotype present (including questionable sexual orientations), the show is still a whole lot of innocent fun to watch. Gambatte Asai-chan!
DJcream
Posted: Apr 14 2007, 12:32 AM

user posted image
Hayate no Gotoku!
Who should watch it: Anyone who wants a really good comedy

Hayate is a good, hard-working kid with parents who are the exact opposite. One day, his left Hayate to pursue an even more reckless living and left a huge debt to Hayate as a Christmas present. Desperate to pay back the money, he attempts to kidnap a young girl named Nagi Senzenin but ends up saving her life from a second batch of kidnappers. To return the favor, Nagi, who happens come from a rich family, gives Hayate a live-in job as her butler who can save her in times of need.

Hayate no Gotoku is shaping up to be the must see series of the season. The natural brattiness of Rei Kugimiya (Louise of Zero no Tsukiama and Shana of Shakugan no Shana) really brings out the best of Negi’s character. Add to that the random anime parodies, such as a tribute to Gendou of Neon Genesis Evangelion in the first episode brings additional humor to the already hilarious show. Leaving on one more good note, KOTOKO does a fabulous job on the opening.

user posted image
Nagasarete Airantou
Who should watch it: Anyone who loves a good harem anime

Ikuto is a young man who runs away from home and ends up on a ship. Unfortunately, a heavy storm tosses Ikuto overboard and is left behind to fend for himself. When the storm clears up, Ikuto finds himself marooned on an inescapable island surrounded by whirlpools. How can Ikuto survive being stranded on an island…as the only male among a village of young females?

Do I spot a harem anime? This particular series have a Girls Bravo feel with the innocent heroine, who happens to be voiced by Yui Horie (Naru of Love Hina), protecting Ituko from the rest of the extremely love-stricken population of women, which can be really scary. Overall, the show has a really good introduction to all of the women candidates and delves into the hard-working personality of the Ituko. It can shape up to be something special.

user posted image
Seirei no Moribito
Who should watch it: Anyone who loved Samurai Champloo

Blasa is a traveling spear-wielding bodyguard who is in the process of atoning for her sin of killing eight of her closest friends and relatives. Upon entering another town, she helps save the life of a young prince from drowning. This demonstration of bravery leads to her final mission to further protect the prince from the emperor’s assassins.

After six shows featuring the trademark big-eyed anime look, the art style of this series is refreshing and different. Balsa is also a very strong character as she is both physically and mentally fit with a good sense of morality. As an action anime, it’s shaping up to be something special.

Stay tuned for more anime
DJcream
Posted: Apr 14 2007, 12:34 AM

Lucky Star
Episodes seen: 7
Who should watch it: Anyone who loves chibi art and/or Aya Hirano (Suzumiya Haruhi)

Konata Izumi is a very athletic and intelligent girl in her class. Too bad she puts all that aside to play video games and watch anime. Lucky Star follows her social life throughout high school as they tackle life’s untold questions, such as “How do you eat a choco roll?”

To be honest, the promo of the show created a lot of last minute hype for the show. Unfortunately, the first episode wasn’t as bold and off-the-wall as the promo video, since the first episode pitch a lot of slow jokes with very weak punch lines. Although I will admit that I enjoy the Street Fighter II reference, nothing was as funny as that. I guess if people just want to watch something cute with OCCASSIONAL laughter, then Lucky Star would be the perfect choice.

NOTE: After the first episode, acceleration picks up and the show becomes non-stop laughter that I expected. There’s a lot of similarities to Azumanga Daioh but I dare to say that the characters of Lucky Star is way more hilarious and enjoyable.

iDOLM@ASTER XENOGLOSSIA
Who should watch it: Anyone who loves a traditional mecha series with cute girls

Idols hold a double meaning, the second being a giant robotic mechs that defend the earth from giant fragments of the moon. Although not one of the most confident people in Japan, Haruka has passed her audition to become an idol; unfortunately she didn’t get the memo of what kind of idol she will become.

Loosely based on the popular Japanese arcade game Idolm@asters, where players help train girls to become pop idols, Idolm@ster XENOGLOSSIA adds an interesting action element to the game. With the team responsible of the Mai-Hime backing up this series, it seems as though this series may take off under good hands. Add to that a phenomenal cast of voice actors (Horie Yui, Tamura Yukari, Koshimizu Ami, Nakahara Mai, Noto Mamiko, and Yukana Nogami), Idolmaster is definitely something to keep tabs on.

Romeo x Juliet
Episodes seen: 5
Who should watch it: Anyone who loves the original Shakespearean tale in anime form

Two households, both alike in dignity,
In fair [Neo] Verona, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;

Being a fan of literature and the arts, Romeo x Juliet is the series I was looking forward for the most. I’m happy to say that this series does follow through on my expectations. Altering the story a bit where Juliet is a rebel under the evil empire lead by the Montague family sets up exciting and new drama to an old story. There are also references to other Shakespearean-related matters, including William Shakespeare himself as a character!

NOTE: After some extra watching, this series continues to be very good. It's kind of interesting that (Gonzo's) Romeo is put in (Shakespeare's) Juliet's shoes as the person torn between family and Juliet. Hopefully GONZO will keep up this exciting series and not let us down like in other productions.
DJcream
Posted: Apr 14 2007, 12:38 AM

sola
Episodes seen: 7
Who should watch it: Anyone who loves looking at skies or a drama with a bit of action

Yorito is an average student who loves to take pictures of the ever-changing sky. As he heads out to take photos of a lovely sunrise, he comes across a beautiful young lady trying to get juice out of a vending machine. After helping her out, the lady mysteriously disappears as the sun begins to rise.

This series begins as any normal set up for a good romance. The twist of the girl suddenly disappearing before watching the sunrise with Yorito hints at something greater, especially towards the action scene at the end. This series may fly under the radar but it’s seems like it can be one of the better anime series this season.

NOTE: The first 5 episodes felt like any other romance anime, which can turn people off. However, once Yorito's sister Aono begins to play a bigger role, then thats when this anime is kicked into full-trottle. sola is definately one of my favorite anime series of this season.

Bokurano
Who should watch it: Anyone who loves a good morality check

One summer day, 15 middle school kids are enjoying their day together at the beach. They discover a mysterious cave with a hidden area that houses a bunch of computers. They meet the owner, Kokopelli, who claims to be a game creator. He invites the kids to beta test his latest “game” where they band together to fight of huge monsters to save the world; however, this could be more than just a game.

I am not feeling the emo angst among all of these kids. They’re naïve nature of accepting a strange request is just stupid and as a viewer I put all blame of them for their ignorance. Afterwards, they bicker among themselves a lot and doesn’t really hook me all that well. I don’t think I’ll regret dropping this series.

Some other shows I don’t want to hype:
Blue Dragon – Based off the popular (and quiet possible only) Japanese RPG for the Xbox 360, Blue Dragon features the tale of three friends who can summon blue monsters to defend their town. The art is done by none other than Akira Toriyama of Dragon Ball fame, so anyone with a love of Toriyama-san or the game itself should definitely take a look at it.
Claymore – Based on the manga title of the same name, a group of female warriors aim to purge the world of full-blooded demons. A lot of action and blood, if that sends up any warning (love) signals.
Sisters of Wellber – A princess of a war-hungry nation falls in love with the prince of the opposing country. In a dramatic turn of events the princess stabs the prince and flees. This premise sounds dramatic and original enough (*cough*romeoxjuliet*cough*) to gather attention, yet as of this write up there are sadly no subs for the title.

Anime I'm looking foward for next season:
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai - The original series is one of the more gripping anime that I've seen in my anime watching career. It'll be interesting how Studio Deen will fill in all of the plot holes left from the first season. Hopefully, it'll retain all of the suspense, drama and mystery that everyone loved...along with the bloodshed.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Recommendations/Reviews | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0676 seconds | Archive