Free mmorpg game engine  Forum

Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to DimensioneX Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Add ReplyNew Topic

Dimensionex On Elastic Beanstalk?, Trying to get it working on that.
HobbyCoder
Posted: Mar 10 2012, 01:53 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,331

Hi!

This looks like a great project.

I know that it seems like wishful thinking, because Underworld only had about 30 Facebook users the last time that I checked, but I'm trying to get Dimensionex running on Amazon Elastic Beanstalk for the automatic scalability.

I installed and ran Dimensionex on my PC just fine using Tomcat 5 and Java 7. But, Elastic Beanstalk seems to default to Tomcat 6 (32 or 64 bit) or Tomcat 7 (32 or 64 bit). It allows you to upload a .war file for quick deployment. When I attempt to upload and deploy the .war file (which I manually changed from a dimx.zip file by changing the extension) it didn't work. I shouldn't have used Tomcat 7 on the Elastic Beanstalk at first, but I decided to back up and try a few simpler things and to try to get it running on Tomcat 6 on my system first. I got a sample .war file to deploy fine on the Elastic Beanstalk, still using version 7. But, when I tried version 6 and 7 with my dimx.war file on my PC, I get servlet mapping errors. On my PC, Tomcat 6 and 7 create a webapps/dimx/dimx path (two dimx's).

This could be related to some changes that I need to make in the web.xml file. I've seen elsewhere in the forum that Dimensionex can be made to work with Tomcat 6. That seems to be my first little hurdle. Maybe I should use the tutorial on using Netbeans to deploy to Tomcat 6 next.

Any input? Thanks in advance.
HobbyCoder
Posted: Mar 10 2012, 01:58 PM

Oh, Duh! That's the way I created the .war file. Fixing that...
HobbyCoder
Posted: Mar 10 2012, 02:04 PM

OK, it works on my system now. Trying again on the Elastic Beanstalk...
HobbyCoder
Posted: Mar 10 2012, 02:20 PM

Hmmm. It's running on my PC, but not on the Elastic Beanstalk using Tomcat 6.0.33. Maybe it is because Elastic Beanstalk renames the .war file? That wouldn't make deployment as easy as it should be. Hmmm. Maybe I'll have time to play with it later today.

HTTP Status 404 - /dimx/servlet/multiplayer

type Status report

message /dimx/servlet/multiplayer

description The requested resource (/dimx/servlet/multiplayer) is not available.
Apache Tomcat/6.0.33
HobbyCoder
Posted: Mar 10 2012, 07:14 PM

Maybe it will work better if I deploy using Eclipse as described in the getting started tutorial.
HobbyCoder
Posted: Apr 8 2012, 03:31 PM

I ended up getting it working on a Windows 2008 Server on GoDaddy's cloud instead. At least I can change the size and power of the instance in just a few minutes, I guess.
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options Add ReplyNew Topic

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive
Custom Search