This is to announce the launch of an online photo album of community Jewish life in Egypt during its heyday years.
I have chosen (at least for now) to site the photo album on.Flickr
(the largest photo sharing site on the Net because it has the most powerful features and access to a wider public. You can see the first photos we have uploaded on Juifs d'Egypte
You are encouraged to join Flickr (you will need a Yahoo ID but that is easily arranged) and to contribute your photos. You will not receive any junk mail as a result of getting a Yahoo ID or joinin Flickr
The kind of photos we are interested in are:
- Group photos – from schools, school outings, (university), youth movements, clubs, workplaces
- Reunions of Jews from Egypt since leaving Egypt
- Photos/scans of documents of various kinds – school certificates, invitations to bar/batmitzvas/weddings, other community events, documents from the Jewish community
- Photos of buildings and clearly recognizable places where Jews would go or meet or visit – e.g. school buildings, cafes, cinemas, synagogues, public buildings
- Photos of Jewish personalities – e.g. rabbis, elders, leaders of the community
- Photos of signs, advertisements, letterheads of Jewish businesses
- Photos illustrating daily life in the period – e.g. cars, buses, trains, outdoor events
- Photos showing style of dress or hairstyles
I am aware that there are photos of Jewish life in Egypt on various other websites especially on the HSJE website
. This project seeks to consolidate them and take advantage of powerful new features.
Your comments and assistance will be most appreciated.