InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Illuminatus. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Bell of Lost Souls, Warhammer 40k and Fantasy News

Alternate Space Marine concepts
precinctomega
Posted: Jan 12 2010, 07:59 PM

Artisan

Group: Admin
Member No.: 102

Arising from a commission for a client, I'm working on a number of concepts for Space Marines with a more "contemporary military"/high-tech look to them. With different heads, these may turn into 32mm resin miniatures, but don't hold your breath.

user posted image

user posted image

R.
Simeon Blackstar
Posted: Jan 13 2010, 09:21 AM

Artisan

Group: Members
Member No.: 584

Very nice indeed! I love the reimagining of the helmets especially, and it's great how they're rcognisably Space Marines while looking more realistic.

The only part I'm not a fan of is the wrist-blade concept - the idea's generally quite over-represented in fantasy/sci-fi, and I still don't think it's actually that effective a design what with not being able to use the wrist too. Plus, where you have it at the moment is on the bottom of the forearm (assuming the other arm is how you mean the armour to be, with the extension running up the back of the elbow rather than the side), so while you could just about punch with it alright, any slashing motion would have to use internal and external rotation of the arms, which are the weakest movements. it would be better placed on the side if anything, but I suspect a bayonet and a short sword of about two feet long would still be more effective.

Of course, with servo enhanced, armoured gloves and super-strength, one wonders how much a knife would actually increase the lethality of a Marine when they're already hitting you as if they were holding a mace, or just grabbing and crushing you. Maybe a sharpened edge to the medial edge of the palm (ie. opposite side to the thumb) so that any chopping motion would be like an axe blow?
precinctomega
Posted: Jan 14 2010, 02:02 PM

Artisan

Seriously... don't get me started.

The designs are for a client. Whilst I will guide and advise clients on their designs here and there, it is a process of gentle adjustment. When a client has his mind set on a certain outcome, I am but a willing (paid) servant.

R.
precinctomega
Posted: Jan 27 2010, 02:48 PM

Artisan

And another:

user posted image

Note the folding shield in the left arm: intended more to provide additional armour in the firefight than in combat.

R.
malika
Posted: Feb 11 2010, 05:54 PM

Artisan

Group: Members
Member No.: 44

Are you working with Philip? Very interesting concepts. We've been working on some concepts for a Marine like figure as well, check out the Armoured Flesh Golem. Maybe we can exchange ideas? smile.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | 40k 2.0 | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.5111 seconds | Archive
Remember - If you want feedback, give feedback!