InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Iron Warriors 4th Grand Company. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (5) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

The Best of the BL, What to (or not to) read from the BL
flyinghippo
Posted: Apr 3 2006, 12:16 AM

Battle Brother

Group: Members
Member No.: 630

The title is sort of self-explanatory. whats ur favourite book. least fav. best author (not much competition here tho laugh.gif )

I guess I'll start it off...

I'm not a complete BL junkie (yet). So far my recommendations would definately be for the Eisenhorn series. As well as Gaunt's Ghosts, so far I've only read First and Only but it seems pretty good so far tongue.gif But the short-story compilation: "Bringers of Death" probably isnt worth it...

--------------------
user posted image
If a vegetarian only eats vegetables, What does a humanitarian eat?
Iron Trooper
Posted: Apr 3 2006, 08:32 PM

Chosen

Member No.: 96

FH:

Required BL reading for IWs - Storm of Iron, the quintessential fluff on the IW's.

Dead Sky, Black Sun - More IW goodness based on IW homeworld of Medrenngard.

The Ciaphais Cain novels are all good reads and funny too.

I've read most of the First & Only series, the Grey Knights books and the Soul Drinkers novels - all nice works too.

Troop

--------------------
"Come with me captain and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow..." Steiner
flyinghippo
Posted: Apr 4 2006, 08:34 PM

Battle Brother

Member No.: 630

Storm of Iron's definately on my to-read list.

Ravenor's pretty good too...

--------------------
user posted image
If a vegetarian only eats vegetables, What does a humanitarian eat?
Khargoth
Posted: Apr 5 2006, 12:12 AM

Iron Captain

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 374

Ravenor Returned is one of the best BL publications I've ever read, I really recomend it. Lord of the Night is pretty much essential if you want to know what the Night Lords were like during Heresy times, it's a great read.
Some 'classics' are Nightbringer, Storm of Iron, Space Marine, Angels of Death, Inquisitor, Harlequin and Chaos Child.

--------------------
BETRAYAL IS WHAT FORGED ME
HATRED IS WHAT DRIVES ME
VENGEANCE IS WHAT CONSUMES ME

HQ & Elites Conversion Competition Winner
Kraull the Rampager
Posted: Apr 5 2006, 11:09 AM

Battle Brother

Member No.: 480

I have a ton of Black Library novels. For the most part, as long as you go into the novel with the realization that you are not reading Pulitzer Prize winning material, they are all pretty good, in their own fashion.

That being said, I do have some that I prefer over others. I really enjoyed the Space Wolf novels, the Gaunts' Ghost series, and most of the novels by Graham McNeill. The Soul Drinkers series was also pretty good, as is the stuff by Simon Spurrier and C.S. Goto.

The ones that I have not liked as much are the Ciaphas Cain novels, and the Iron Hands novel. Nothing really particular about them; they just didn't strike my fancy.

Overall, I find a good deal of Black Library fiction entertaining. I go into most novels not expecting to find the next Tom Clancy or J.R.R. Tolkien, and as such I am able to enjoy the novels that much more.

--------------------
user posted image
Insane Psychopath
Posted: Apr 5 2006, 11:50 AM

Hobby Champion

Group: Admin
Member No.: 85

As said Storm of Iron & Dead sun - black sky. Bother great Iron Warriors books & a must for any of us IW players.

On that note, Greame McNeil talk about having another two book full of our glories Warsmith from SoI. Basicly the first new one will be how he gose of dose his own thing, the Ultrmarine dose his own thing.... the second book will basicly be a BIG fight with both them (DS-BS). Not sure dates, this was back in March 2005 that the Scottish Conflict, but I will find out as he will be attending the Conflict this year & well I am not gaming so mean more time talk about forth coming stuff.

But again Storm of Iron & DS-BS are both great reads.

--------------------
IW 5th Grand Company record since 04:W-274, L-252, D-123, Games play 649, Best army award GW Glasgow GW 2005, Conflict 02/05 - top 5 best armies, UK GT heat 1 05/06/07/08/09, Medusa V 06, Stirling Rapid Fire 06 2nd/08 4th & 2nd best army/09 8th & best painted army, 40k Radio 08 5thScotland-38thWorld, ELG Rompa Stompa 08, Hobby champion 08, 2nd at ELG Compulsion 09, ELG Counter attack 09 4th &Best army, ToS12-2nd best chaos player+2nd best Army top 8 Army nominee, Armies on Parade 12
Khargoth
Posted: Apr 6 2006, 12:05 AM

Iron Captain

Hmmm. Honestly, I think some of the writers have more talent than most of the novels I see on the shelves these days. Simon Spurrier is definately a rising star, and so far I haven't read a novel by Dan Abnett that isn't a work of art.

--------------------
HATRED IS WHAT DRIVES ME

Grand Warmaster Pinto
Posted: Apr 6 2006, 02:57 PM

Iron Captain

Member No.: 25

One of my favorites is the Dark Imperium collection of short stories, very cool stuff if you like Chaos. Another one that I liked was Lord of Night, I liked the main character a lot, almost got me to play Night Lords.

--------------------
Fear is a burden for lesser men. We are not lesser men. We are Iron Warriors.
user posted image

Khargoth
Posted: Apr 6 2006, 03:12 PM

Iron Captain

Yeah, I wrote up some rules to use Zho Sahaal in 40k, he's quite a powerhouse, but not unstoppable. Go check out the Chaos Marines Discussion board.

--------------------
HATRED IS WHAT DRIVES ME

Grand Warmaster Pinto
Posted: Apr 7 2006, 01:23 AM

Iron Captain

Member No.: 25

Very nice work, I like the restrictions placed to even him out. I hope more books are released with him in it.

--------------------
Fear is a burden for lesser men. We are not lesser men. We are Iron Warriors.
user posted image

Khargoth
Posted: Apr 7 2006, 02:14 PM

Iron Captain

Yeah, I hope so. I was a bit naughty by creating fluff that he meets a regiment of renegade Night Lords, but you could always say he takes off on his own again to finish whatever quest he's on now... I'm interested to see what's happened to the sanctioned psyker (forgotten her name)

--------------------
HATRED IS WHAT DRIVES ME

blackcell8
Posted: Apr 27 2006, 07:22 PM

Iron Lord

Member No.: 16

Apart from Storm of Iron and Dead Sky Black Sun (the obvious), I've read Fire Warrior (good read), some of Dawn of War (not that good in my opinion) and Execution Hour ( censored.gif ing amazing)

--------------------
Khargoth
Posted: May 17 2006, 02:33 AM

Iron Captain

So far I have not read a bad Gaunt's Ghosts novel, so far my favourite would be Ghostmaker, the Khorne Berzerker assault on the Volpone Basilisks is just... insane. Now, if only they were as hard to kill on the tabletop as they are in DoW and fluff... maybe make the Mark of Khorne more expensive and include 'feel no pain' into it?

--------------------
HATRED IS WHAT DRIVES ME

blackcell8
Posted: Jun 22 2006, 08:44 AM

Iron Lord

Member No.: 16

I haven't read any Gaunt's Ghosts novels, I don't know why, but they don't seem to interest me too much. I still need to get Shadow Point, I think Abaddon is after a Blackstone Fortress...

--------------------
Cassius Ironclaw
Posted: Jun 23 2006, 10:02 PM

Battle Brother

Member No.: 772

Personally I think the best is the Space Wolf series. happy.gif
Something about these barbarians is funny...possibly because they seem to be more human than any other Space Marine Chapters. They make jokes, play games, insult each other, banter, and having drinking contests. And they're Space Marines...it's just great! tongue.gif

--------------------
The spirit is a machine that is unlocked by Chaos. The flesh is a fortress that we shall overcome.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | The Black Library | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (5) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1650 seconds | Archive