InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Altezza Club Of NZ/Australia. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

See here-
http://z4.invisionfree.com/lexusaltezzaclu...=0#entry8690150

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

What Have I Done?, Undid the 17mm bolt above oil plug
peter0991
Posted: Apr 21 2012, 08:10 PM

Soccer Mom

Group: Std. Member
Member No.: 6,433

Hi guys,

During the process of changing gearbox oil, i undid the 17mm bolt a few inches above the oil filler plug.

user posted image

Its the one that can be seen right at the top of the picture.

Does anyone know what it does? And what the damage could be? I heard that it holds something inside the gearbox in place.

Please share your wisdom biggrin.gif
peter0991
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 12:50 AM

Soccer Mom

Member No.: 6,433

Il just talk to myself a bit here laugh.gif
Started the car up today while it was on axle stands. All the gears engage fine with no problem. But still i would not recommend undoing that bolt to anyone. The bolt is called 'shift interlock plate bolt' and i believe it is some kind of a detent. One member on tezzaworld had a problem when he undid that bolt and heard something drop inside...ended up in a gearbox rebuild in order to put it back in place.
The reason i undid the bolt is to get oil in the gearbox as the filler bolt was stripped. It worked, but i have lost some hair over it in the past couple of days laugh.gif
Bry
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 02:17 AM

Body-Kitted

Group: VIP Member
Member No.: 6,444

For future reference, you can remove the shifter plate and fill froM
The top...
roman
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 11:07 AM

Lowered

Member No.: 861

I've used that trick on some other Toyota gearboxes, but as best I can see it's not possible with Altezza box, as the selector shaft protrudes externally from the box?

Rather than W series box etc where the shifter is integrated into the casting of the tail section.
Bry
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 12:34 PM

Body-Kitted

News to me! never found a box I couldn't do that on... but then again I haven't done it to my altezza yet haha
roman
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 02:58 PM

Lowered

Member No.: 861

Yeah the shifter assembly bolts on top of the box, but it just rotates/moves an external shaft that's normally under a rubber boot:

user posted image

Using a grease gun with a hose on the end is definitely the least swearword inducing way to fill the box back up!

Would be a lot easier if it could be filled from the top, but knowing me I'd probably spill gearbox oil all over the interior biggrin.gif
Bry
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 03:02 PM

Body-Kitted

Valid point!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Driveline - Clutch Gearbox Differentials | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive