zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Altezza Club Of NZ/Australia. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

See here-
http://z4.invisionfree.com/lexusaltezzaclu...=0#entry8690150

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

One Shock Leaking, Good Person To Use Near Mt Eden
Nimmy
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 05:44 PM

Soccer Mom

Group: Std. Member
Member No.: 6,075

So I tried to get a warrant today and failed because one of my shocks is leaking apparently. This isn't a problem I've encountered before with any car.

Does anyone know if I should replace all 4 shocks, or if I can get away with only replacing one, perhaps even with a cheaper second hand shock?

If I do need to replace all 4, can anyone recommend a brand to use, I assume it's probably worth getting decent ones, I'm usually in favour of spend a bit more especially on things like tires, I assume shocks are much the same?

And does anyone know someone good to use near Mt Eden in Auckland? I have just been using the AA in Kingsland for general work, with mixed results.

Finally total newb question, but do the shocks effect the ride height at all? Aesthetically I think it would look better a touch lower, but I'm also not sure I want the mechanical issues that go with that, I gather it puts more stress on the other components?

It's not a great time for this money is tight because I'm not working, in fact I'm having hip surgery on Monday so I have very little time to get it fixed too. So any helpful advice would be great!

2ToneTezza
Posted: Apr 26 2012, 09:25 AM

Custom

Group: VIP Member
Member No.: 5,953

Shocks do wear out, not unusual in 10 year old cars.
No need to replace all four, but would advise replacing them at least in pairs (front and rear), if one front shock is leaking, the other side won't be far off.
Wouldn't advise buying second hand (although: these would be a good spring upgrade, which would address you ride height 'issues'... http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...-467747260.htm) no guarantees the shocks aren't leaking too though :S

shocks don't effect ride height, springs do.

check out supercheapauto's prices on KYB shocks, they're actually pretty decent shocks for a very reasonable price - if they have one that fits that is.

--------------------
'99 Altezza RS200Z- project car
'04 1240cc Nissan March rocketship
'01 KTM520EXC motard
xnickx
Posted: Apr 26 2012, 11:18 AM

^^ You may thank me ^^

Group: Admin
Member No.: 469

OEM shocks are cheap!
RRP - $190.00+GST
STD member - $161.50+GST
VIP members - $140.00+GST

--------------------
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Braking and Handling | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive