InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Altezza Club Of NZ/Australia. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

See here-
http://z4.invisionfree.com/lexusaltezzaclu...=0#entry8690150

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Leaking Diff, diff out job?
Bry
Posted: May 8 2012, 01:45 PM

Body-Kitted

Group: VIP Member
Member No.: 6,444

Haven't had a proper look at how diff is mounted, but looks like drivers side axle seal is leaking - is this something that can be done with it in the car? Any Special service tools needed?

Don't mind if I have to pull it out as I wouldn't mind checking out the diff.

Thanks
Tezz-Winnie
Posted: May 8 2012, 02:23 PM

Unregistered

Have you looked at the service manual yet? There is one in the VIP DIY section for the IS200 but other then the engine its exactly the same smile.gif
Bry
Posted: May 8 2012, 03:33 PM

Body-Kitted

Might take a look at it later if I get bored at work. Wondering if someone had first hand exp in changing them
xnickx
Posted: May 8 2012, 03:56 PM

^^ You may thank me ^^

Group: Admin
Member No.: 469

If it's the side shaft oil seals can be done in place.

Remove the side shaft bolts that connect the inner side shaft to the outer CV, negotiate (hammer) the inner side shaft out and replace the seal.

--------------------
Tezz-Winnie
Posted: May 8 2012, 04:01 PM

Unregistered

My money was on you nick lol. Cant wait till mine lets go sad.gif
Bry
Posted: May 8 2012, 04:15 PM

Body-Kitted

Hehe, email incoming nick... adding to the parts list =p
Tezz-Winnie
Posted: May 8 2012, 04:37 PM

Unregistered

As in I cant wait till my diff goes not that the seal is a common fault as far as Im aware! From memory you did a spectacular job at ripping your TRD LSD apart Nick!!! Dam weak F series!
Bry
Posted: May 8 2012, 04:56 PM

Body-Kitted

Eeep! Our diffs are weak?
Tezz-Winnie
Posted: May 8 2012, 05:03 PM

Unregistered

Just use the right grade oil and do regular changes and you should be fine. F series diffs are notoriously weak but our Altezza ones seem to be holding out well but that doesn't mean they haven't failed! Even the TRD ones...

You can get Tomei, Kazz, Truetrack, cusco centers that work quite well too.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/s...info-Discussion
Bry
Posted: May 8 2012, 05:24 PM

Body-Kitted

I was going to throw some SAF-XA in at same time that I do the seals so hopefully that keeps it happy.

I've got my suspicions that it may already have a 1.5way or something in it based on some 'testing' =p .. wouldn't mind pulling it out anyway to have a quick look and do the seals on bench.
Tezz-Winnie
Posted: May 8 2012, 06:20 PM

Unregistered

QUOTE (Bry @ May 8 2012, 03:24 PM)
I was going to throw some SAF-XA in at same time that I do the seals so hopefully that keeps it happy.

I've got my suspicions that it may already have a 1.5way or something in it based on some 'testing' =p .. wouldn't mind pulling it out anyway to have a quick look and do the seals on bench.

I know mine def stock but the F series LSD is naturally aggressive during deceleration which is the only way to see if you have a 1.5 or two way (as in you should hear one wheel lock up under high rpm down shifts with slight brakes not two or in the case of a 1.5 way you will need to jam the brakes under high rpm down shift to get one to lock and send you into a spin or a wall lol). Acceleration off the line it will spin one then quickly balance the torque, I can hold both wheels locked in a power slide for some time too so its quite fun stock but just week. Its the same LSD as found in the Chaser, cressidas. The Supras and soarers got the G series sad.gif
Bry
Posted: May 8 2012, 06:41 PM

Body-Kitted

Interesting.. pretty hard to tell, apart from the occasional chatter I'm used to from driving nissans with aftermarket lsd's.

Given the history of my car, that it originally had swaybars, coilovers and bracing everywhere when it came from Japan I wouldn't be surprised if an LSD was also thrown in.
Tezz-Winnie
Posted: May 8 2012, 07:05 PM

Unregistered

True, such a shame that cookie dismantled half of it. Somehow I ended up with his Toms engine brace smile.gif

Then again I have every brace you could think of apart from a cabin brace or a roll cage and fender braces (the triangle braces that go in the fenders), sway bars tein suspension and im yet to invest in a decent LSD but then again I have had my Altezza on the skidpan and its quite nice (Still could use a 2 way to get a proper power slide though!)
Bry
Posted: May 8 2012, 07:12 PM

Body-Kitted

Agreed. Got a pic of the engine brace in question?

Cabin braces (monkey bar or b pillar) are useless.. cage + fender braces are usually good though.

Diff feels good from playing around in the wet and a few sneaky slides here and there.
Tezz-Winnie
Posted: May 8 2012, 07:55 PM

Unregistered

It will be in my ride thread in good time....
Geoff897
Posted: May 8 2012, 08:16 PM

Custom

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 795

Here is the Toms list of Braces and the engine brace in question is Part 5 from memory

user posted image

--------------------
Vinyl Decal Stickers for Automotive and Interior.

20% Discount & Free Postage for VIP (Coupon Code) = Altezza Club VIP 20
Carbon Fiber Cluster Decals
xnickx
Posted: May 8 2012, 08:35 PM

^^ You may thank me ^^

Group: Admin
Member No.: 469

Mostly true, however the times I kept smashing pinioned and crowns was with the Torsen unit which I had shimmed up. Was great on pickup but cause a lot of under steer. Has a 2nd hand TRD unit which required a rebuild which I sold and just bought a new unit. Have yet to look back since then!

Using a thicker (80W-140) with the stock Torsen unit helps them lock up alot better by adding more initial preload. But always, always use a GL-5 rated LSD oil for the Torsen unit. If the oil smells burnt when you change it, it is.

Currently using a TRD 2way with TRD LSD oil and after many track days and gymkhana days I've yet to fault it smile.gif

PS, it's silent and not as skippy as a mates Cusco unit lol!

--------------------
Geoff897
Posted: May 8 2012, 08:57 PM

Custom

Member No.: 795

QUOTE (xnickx @ May 8 2012, 07:35 PM)
Mostly true, however the times I kept smashing pinioned and crowns was with the Torsen unit which I had shimmed up. Was great on pickup but cause a lot of under steer. Has a 2nd hand TRD unit which required a rebuild which I sold and just bought a new unit. Have yet to look back since then!

Using a thicker (80W-140) with the stock Torsen unit helps them lock up alot better by adding more initial preload. But always, always use a GL-5 rated LSD oil for the Torsen unit. If the oil smells burnt when you change it, it is.

Currently using a TRD 2way with TRD LSD oil and after many track days and gymkhana days I've yet to fault it smile.gif

PS, it's silent and not as skippy as a mates Cusco unit lol!

Agreed most the time when the diff breaks its the C&P and not the center.

Either Torque or Axel tramp will cause the C&P to break.

I haven't looked back on the TRD unit either smile.gif

PS. I broke a C&P with running a 2way cusco and it too skipped around every corner.

--------------------
Vinyl Decal Stickers for Automotive and Interior.

20% Discount & Free Postage for VIP (Coupon Code) = Altezza Club VIP 20
Carbon Fiber Cluster Decals
wesley
Posted: May 24 2012, 09:27 PM

touge lover

Member No.: 866

I think for our cars fender bracing might be a good investment since they are getting old. Also we do put our cars through a bit of abuse.

--------------------

2003 IS200 Sport Luxury 4AT SOLD
2002 WRX STI V7 6MT SOLD
2000 Zenki RS200 Z Etd 6MT SOLD
1999 Zenki RS200 Z Etd 6MT CURRENT
Tezz-Winnie
Posted: May 28 2012, 01:53 AM

Unregistered

QUOTE (wesley @ May 24 2012, 07:27 PM)
I think for our cars fender bracing might be a good investment since they are getting old. Also we do put our cars through a bit of abuse.

Not unless you have been drifting or rallying for the last 10 years lol
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Driveline - Clutch Gearbox Differentials | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive