Skin modified from Pyro's "Sour Apple" of the IF Skin Zone.

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Namc. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (6) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Something disturbing
Eral
Posted: Dec 18 2005, 07:35 AM

Pleasure Slave

Group: Supercoffeefragillisticexpialido
Member No.: 11

It has come to my attention that is possible to be considered a sex symbol in the IE community. One wonders how on earth it is possible to be considered sexy in cyberspace. To deepen the mystery I am informed a modder who -well, has to be one of the more annoying people on the face of the Internet, is in fact awarded this accolade by many. He doesn't even have a scantily clad well endowed avatar, and makes no attempt to be charming. He isn't even funny.
Is there anyone who can explain this mystery? Surely women modders are not stupid? Is there a distressing undercurrent of masochism within the IE community that needs to be addressed?
Andyr
Posted: Dec 18 2005, 01:42 PM

Grunt

Group: Grand Vizier (temporary)
Member No.: 5

Better to by a sex object than a sex symbol. That way you get used, instead of just having posters put up with your face (/other parts?) on them.

Quite intrigued as to who you're referring to...
icelus
Posted: Dec 18 2005, 04:37 PM

Devoted Minion

Group: Mr Infinitive
Member No.: 3

Duh. Me!
Posted: Dec 18 2005, 05:18 PM

Unregistered

The Iceman Cometh -- he is HAWT
Eral
Posted: Dec 19 2005, 07:05 AM

Pleasure Slave

Well actually icelus it can't be you, because you are funny. (Sorry.)
Being a sex object and being a sex symbol are kind of the same, because admirers are just interested in how you look and tend not to look past imagining a quickie with you. Being a symbol sounds better though - representing sexiness, not just being a container for sex. A sex symbol sounds like it something you actively choose to do - being object sounds like it just happens to you whether you like it or not.

Before I reveal the identity of the alleged symbol, or my source, I would like some solid replies to my question. I am pretty sure all of you have information on this subject. ( I would tell all, as is usual wont, but I feel strangely hesitant. Is someone watching?)

Edit: my secondary source suggests this is a kind of adolescent same-sex crush, a kind of "gee, I wish I was like that". I am so relieved. Sort of. The only female modders I know to any degree are Stoplight, Bons, Kismet, St. Jo and Ashara/Domi - and I was sure they would never make such a ghastly error. I can readily believe discharger would be so stupid, but it's still terribly, terribly sad.
Andyr
Posted: Dec 19 2005, 06:39 PM

Grunt

Err, ok. I'm in the dark.
Eral
Posted: Dec 19 2005, 09:31 PM

Pleasure Slave

OK. Hints.
He likes to make condescending and rude comments, but runs away when the errors in his logic or grammar are pointed out. I think to sulk.

What about now?
Andyr
Posted: Dec 19 2005, 10:07 PM

Grunt

Depending on who you 'side' with, that could be a biased comment about almost anyone: either NiGHTMARE or Sim argue often with each other, as does Domi (who is not male), Corvis (who is not a modder), JC (who is a sex symbol), Ghrey (who is a pirate), me (who tries not to argue)...
Eral
Posted: Dec 19 2005, 11:15 PM

Pleasure Slave

Well of course it's biased, it's in the quarantine section for a reason. (Hello, it's me.)

Nightmare never runs away from an argument. Clearly not him.
Sim always finishes his arguments by notifying his debatoree of his intention to not talk about it any more. (So far as I have seen.) So can't be him.
Can't be Domi or Corvis - not male/modder.
I have seen jc's muscle shirt and I know he sometimes blurs the line between himself and Kelsey, and thus may get confused when people speak of their adoration for said code and get notions above himself - but I had no idea he was a sex symbol too. However, as he never runs away when people point out errors in his logic, can't be him either. (I see you know more about this sex symbol thing than you let on.)
Ghrey makes rude comments, but not, I think, condescending ones. He is also funny, (well, I laugh) so it can't be him. (I wonder if he is worried or pleased by the admiration he is currently receiving from Lu and ImoenNF. I hope worried.)
Can't be you, as you don't argue. Nor are you condescending and rude.

If you are determined to sit on the diplomacy fence, then get comfy and have a beer or a cuppa. I was only giving clues because you are focussed on the identity of the Said Symbol. What I really want to know is how anybody receives this accolade? Everyone sits around in IRC saying, "Yep, he can put his v.2 under my bed anytime"? Is jc a sex symbol too? How? Why? (My source is going to love this news.)
Andyr
Posted: Dec 20 2005, 12:00 AM

Grunt

QUOTE (Eral @ Dec 19 2005, 11:15 PM)

Well of course it's biased, it's in the quarantine section for a reason. (Hello, it's me.)

Heheh. smile.gif

Can't be you, as you don't argue. Nor are you condescending and rude.

Hey, are you saying I'm not a sex symbol? You, uh, meanie! Bad person! Of course I am!

... does that qualify? wink.gif

If you are determined to sit on the diplomacy fence, then get comfy and have a beer or a cuppa. I was only giving clues because you are focussed on the identity of the Said Symbol.

I am vaguely intrigued as to who it is, yeh.

(I see you know more about this sex symbol thing than you let on.)

Busted.

What I really want to know is how anybody receives this accolade? Everyone sits around in IRC saying, "Yep, he can put his v.2 under my bed anytime"? Is jc a sex symbol too? How? Why? (My source is going to love this news.)

Good question; I'm not sure how one would become a sex symbol in a text-based online community. I don't know if JC's a sex symbol, but he's probably the most Adult Male of the modders around there (except Cam, who doesn't pimp himself so much)--not saying that myself, Ghrey et al aren't adult, but just that JC is a little older (so perhaps more apt for sex-symbol status, given that I remember reading most of the women in the IE mod scene are late twenties onwards, while I am 22 and Ghrey, Seifer etc range up to about 26).

That was a long sentence.
Eral
Posted: Dec 20 2005, 03:55 AM

Pleasure Slave

That was a long sentence for you. I type sentences like that as off-the-cuff remarks. As for your attempt at condescension/rudeness I could tell your heart wasn't in it.

So. I guess I will have to wait for icelus and Cliffette to pop in and give some more insights into this curious phenomenum. After we get more info on how cyberspace sex symbols are made we'll be able to tell if you qualify.
icelus
Posted: Dec 20 2005, 04:55 AM

Devoted Minion

Group: Mr Infinitive
Member No.: 3

I'm fairly certain I know who it is, since the same observation has mystified me, but I'm not going to be the one to steal the thunder. I've done that twice this month already. Three strikes and you're out, dontcha know?
Eral
Posted: Dec 20 2005, 07:16 AM

Pleasure Slave

I guess you since you are mystified too, you have no insights to share as to how this sort of thing occurs. Great. I was counting on you. However, it is reassuring to know that the whole thing boggles the mind of others too. I'd hate to be a snob.
Andyr
Posted: Dec 20 2005, 02:00 PM

Grunt

That was a long sentence for you. I type sentences like that as off-the-cuff remarks.

Sometimes when I talk I diverge from the original point, or say what I was saying in quite a roundabout way... so I guess sometimes I type like that too! Actually, I've sometimes wondered if people talk the same way that they type (and whether the answer is the same in formal and informal settings). I think the answer is often, but not exclusively, yes.

As for your attempt at condescension/rudeness I could tell your heart wasn't in it.

;_;
Andyr
Posted: Dec 20 2005, 02:00 PM

Grunt

QUOTE (icelus @ Dec 20 2005, 04:55 AM)
I'm fairly certain I know who it is, since the same observation has mystified me, but I'm not going to be the one to steal the thunder. I've done that twice this month already. Three strikes and you're out, dontcha know?

You guys must pay more attention than me. smile.gif
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic OptionsPages: (6) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3634 seconds | Archive