Skin modified from Pyro's "Sour Apple" of the IF Skin Zone.

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Namc. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

A survey of sorts, Nerdy content inside... (work-related)
cliffette
Posted: Jan 12 2006, 07:07 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

For those who've been to science museums (or even normal museums) before and enjoyed the experience, what kind of exhibits were effective or fun or left an impression on your mind?

eg. I can remember an earthquake ride from when I was about 8, I remember a lightning machine that made real lightning and also I remember a really, really viscous fluid in a container that was going to reach the bottom of the container in about 1997.

I'm trying to see what works and what doesn't. If you haven't been to a science museum, then off you go... I'll wait for your reply. smile.gif
Andyr
Posted: Jan 12 2006, 09:21 PM

Grunt

Group: Grand Vizier (temporary)
Member No.: 5

I like dinosaurs, other fossils, and invertebrates. And gems.

I remember lightning machines and viscous fluids too, which were cool. And a big pair of dishes that let you talk across the room (like one of those old cup telephones).
Eral
Posted: Jan 12 2006, 10:16 PM

Pleasure Slave

Group: Supercoffeefragillisticexpialido
Member No.: 11

Kids love bones. (me too.) They also love "What's under the skin?" diagrams and models when they are over eight. Some like it earlier -but it can freak out some under sixes.
Interactive exhibits, where you push buttons and see effects are pretty fab too -like that static electiricity one at Scienceworks that makes your hair stand up. Anything that lights up, or moves. Bright colours are good.
Recreations of old living standards- like what it was like on a ship for an immigrant, early settler houses, convicts' huts. Also modern things like interior of a space shuttle or airplane controls.
Miniatures of ships and cars and trains and planes. If they move or make noises these are even better.
Things people used to use.
Once I took a grade of 1/2 kids to the Museum and they loved the rocks and gems-they were fascinated that such stuff was in the ground. It might have been the colours, but I was surprised how interested they were.
Anything that demonstrates how things kids use every day work - like lights, fridges, hot water- they love that. In 2004 I had a grade 3/4 who watched candles burning and were enthralled. If it poses a question,(where is the wax going?) or answers one you have their complete attention.
Bex
Posted: Jan 12 2006, 11:52 PM

Peon

Group: Members
Member No.: 28

In general, displays I could touch were far preferable to anything behind glass. Anything interactive was great, and particularly anything that meant I was allowed to handle living animals.
icelus
Posted: Jan 13 2006, 01:00 AM

Devoted Minion

Group: Mr Infinitive
Member No.: 3

I, um... really like rocks.
cliffette
Posted: Jan 13 2006, 06:52 AM

Administrator

Thanks everyone. smile.gif

It'll definitely be interactive, with lots of things to play with and do. But I'll try to get bones and ... er... rocks in there!
icelus
Posted: Jan 13 2006, 04:02 PM

Devoted Minion

Group: Mr Infinitive
Member No.: 3

Metamorphic rocks rule!
Andyr
Posted: Jan 13 2006, 04:42 PM

Grunt

d00d, igneous pwnz j00
cliffette
Posted: Jan 14 2006, 05:24 AM

Administrator

Duh, the best is clearly sedimentary, my dear Watson.
Drew
Posted: Jan 14 2006, 12:30 PM

Peon

Group: Members
Member No.: 30

The type of rock doesn't matter, people. Paper beats rock every time.
Andyr
Posted: Jan 14 2006, 04:34 PM

Grunt

I chuckled quite a bit when I read that. smile.gif
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2085 seconds | Archive