Skin modified from Pyro's "Sour Apple" of the IF Skin Zone.

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Namc. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

My castle is under attack!
Eral
Posted: Feb 7 2006, 01:03 AM

Pleasure Slave

Group: Supercoffeefragillisticexpialido
Member No.: 11

I live in a row of units in a nice leafy residential street. Next door on the right is a small park. It's a great place to live, I walk down the hill to a small shopping strip with restaurants and a newsagents and my supermarket and post office and bank. My neighbours are nice, the schools in the area are great to work in.
At the bottom of the hill, on the main street frontage is a private hospital. They have just announced plans to knock down the two houses to the left of our block and build an eight story medical centre. Next door to me. A driveway away.
I am not very enthralled by this. Probably the plan for the eight stories is their outrageous one -we object, they say "OK how about this one?" and whip out the plan for the three story building and everyone's supposed to say "Oh that's much better, go right ahead."
Well no. The amount of traffic that will be going in and out will be crazy (we have areas zoned 'residential' for a reason I always thought) and umm, I don't want a three to eight storey building looming over my house. I am quite worried that the council is going to turn around and say ,"Oh didn't you know? Your house falls into the residential/business zone part of the street. Yes. It's just your block that is zoned that way. It only said "residential" on the title? No, no, that's wrong. Too bad."
I hate moving.

Drew
Posted: Feb 7 2006, 01:33 AM

Peon

Group: Members
Member No.: 30

I hope you don't own. This could destroy the property's value. (On the other hand, maybe you can find a nice elderly couple that needs/wants to live in close proximity to a hospital. Selling wouldn't be so hard in that case.
Eral
Posted: Feb 7 2006, 01:43 AM

Pleasure Slave

Oh, we do own. Which is why I feel some consternation. If it wasn't my place, I'd just go at the end of lease.
Maybe one of the doctors wants to live next door to work.

Joy!The boys are back.
Drew
Posted: Feb 7 2006, 02:24 AM

Peon

Yeah, but just here. You're going to want to put your place on the market quickly. For the right buyer your place will be perfect (and you might even get more than you would have gotten without a hospital nearby ) but I'd expect finding that "right" buyer may take you some time. You could also try to track down some poor schmo who doesn't read the newspaper or watch the news and try to sell it to him.......
Eral
Posted: Feb 7 2006, 03:48 AM

Pleasure Slave

The poor schmo option would be evil - I couldn't do that. blushing.gif I am a crap land baron capitalist bourgeoisie.
Drew
Posted: Feb 7 2006, 08:49 AM

Peon

You may not be evil, but your Agent will be if she's worth her salt.
Andyr
Posted: Feb 7 2006, 06:24 PM

Grunt

Group: Grand Vizier (temporary)
Member No.: 5

That sounds pretty sucky.
cliffette
Posted: Feb 8 2006, 06:25 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

That's terrible, Eral. Is it definite or just a proposal?
Eral
Posted: Feb 8 2006, 07:12 AM

Pleasure Slave

The hospital has already bought the two houses next door, given the plans to the council, and we have 14 days to object. The Council decides on the 20th Feb. What we think will happen is, they will come back with amended plans, we go through the whole process again (as I really don't want to live next to a hospital/medical suites) and even if we win, they can appeal to the government.
They seem pretty sure they can do it - the woman next door said it was such a good offer she couldn't refuse- and she has just spent $40 000 re-slating the roof and landscaping the garden. So it must have been a good offer.

I feel pretty doomed. Oh well. Maybe we'll find another place we like just as much as this. crying.gif
Regullus
Posted: Feb 8 2006, 04:58 PM

Commoner

Member No.: 32

If the hospital does not make a generous offer for your house, it might make an excellent income property. I don't know if you could afford to keep the house and purchase another home but if you could I would think there would by many employees of the hospital interested in renting a home so close to work.

In my hometown, many of our hospital staff live on the same road.

Also, I think it is good to remember that you are aware that the property's charm has decreased but a new buyer will just view it as a house next to a hospital.

My parents, many years ago, brought a summer cottage, and it was nice, for many reasons, but one of the main reasons was it faced a wildlife sanctuary that was never going to built on. As the island's property values increased, for some unknown reason, the protected land was sold and two charming houses now obstruct the view. My family thinks its terrible, and we keep the shades drawn on the windows facing the new houses but if we were to sell the house, the new buyers wouldn't know the difference. We see an obstructed view, they would see two houses.

Eral
Posted: Feb 9 2006, 07:09 AM

Pleasure Slave

The hospital won't be making us an offer. We might consider the tenant option -
but taking on two mortgages is a big burden. All our extra money goes into paying off the bank, and in 5 years we have reduced the length of the loan to 14 years. But we don't have a big nest-egg for a deposit, so buying a second place would mean a cut down to the economic bone.
underdog
Posted: Feb 9 2006, 06:33 PM

Commoner

Group: Bug Zapper 3000
Member No.: 21

Eral, have you asked the bank if you could goto weekly payments, I did that and they automatically take the money right out of the monymarket account, it knocked the interest, for about the same payment $635/month now $165/week, from $44,000 to $21,000 at repayment and reduced the repayment by 10 years, before I was making ~$200 in principal now it's ~$100 a week in principal.

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.5464 seconds | Archive