the Rules of ThinkPotter:Rule #1: Respect Each Other’s Values and Opinions
- We promote a good debate, but good debates can be carried on without insults, name calling, or profanity. Language and terminology used with express intent to intimidate other members is not permitted. Anyone doing this will have the offending post removed and a warning will be sent to them. Rule #2: Stay On Topic
- We have sections for almost any discussion you can think of. Please choose the appropriate forum to post your topic. If you are posting in an existing thread, please try to remain on topic there are well (example: If, in a thread about Wand cores, a "shipper" discussion breaks out those posts may be moved to another thread or split into a separate new thread). Rule #3: No Duplicate Threads
- Please try to read as much as possible through the forums to get acquainted with what’s already there, and avoid starting a duplicate thread. If you search around a little, most likely you will find a relevant thread already started. If you do accidentally start a thread that duplicates an existing topic, we will merge your thread in with the already created thread.
Search functions will be added as soon as we get them and their operation included here.Rule #4: Spamming and Net-slang.
Spamming: is not allowed, you may advertise in your own signature area only.
Net-slang: is acceptable in very small doses only, but entire posts of it are not.
Any abuses of the above will be considered on a case-by-case basis, but if it is the post/thread will be removed and you will be sent a warning.Rule #5: Do Not Post Spoilers
– We are all looking forward excitedly to the new book that will be coming out shortly, and we do not take kindly to people spoiling the story for us. If you post a spoiler please place a Spoiler Warning before the message. Further Spoiler Rules will be posted when the book is released. (PLEASE NOTE: This rule does not apply to the Movie section. Upon entering any movie thread you are entering at your own risk.)Rule #6: Respect Admin/Mods
- We try not to be a “police state” here on the message boards. However, should the time ever come when we do find it necessary to moderate someone, please respect our decisions. Please remember that when a post or thread is removed it is NOT deleted. Admin people will continue to have access to it. So if you feel you have been unfairly moderated, send a PM to one of the Moderators and we will review the post/thread for a final decision.
If you still feel you are being treated unfairly, the moderators will contact the appeals committee to review the issue. The appeals committee is a rotating board made up of three regular members dedicated to preserving the integrity of our community. They will review the issue and make a ruling. The decision if the appeals committee is final. If you are interested in serving on the committee, contact one of our moderators for more information.Rule #7: NONE of these rules apply in Fight Club!!!
- Fight Club is a mature forum where people can talk about some of the more volatile issues or subjects without moderation. Personal attacks are not condoned. If you have a problem with another member, solve it outside of the boards or contact an admin. If you have an issue with someone or something other than another member, please bring your fight to the Fight Club. Profanity is acceptable there, so if this easily offends you please refrain from entering.Now these rules are subject to change as the site changes, so stop back periodically.
A few words about posting on a message board and posting on this message board.
Posting is a lot like acting, you can be whatever you want in your post, from a grumpy old wizard to a wise and fun-loving centauress or you can be yourself. Here on the Internet it doesn’t matter how you look or dress or how much money you make, what matters is what you say and how you say it.
Most message boards you post on are going to have rules on what you say and how you say it; oddly enough ours are posted above. You should have already acquainted yourself with them before registering for the site; you are responsible for knowing them.
ThinkPotter.org is more than a message board and associated web site; we are a Community that has been together for a long time and been through some tough breaks, so we are a little more candid with each other than some sites would allow. We feel we’ve earned the right to be.
Most of the forums are moderated by the admin team and therefore no one person has responsibility for them. Other forums have specific admin members that have taken it upon themselves to lead that forum either because the forum was their idea or they want to moderate it.
All rules are to be strictly adhered to in the ReThinkPotter, Tri-Wizard Tournament and Cinematic Alley forums; this includes language, spamming, etc. These forums are the reason most of you joined ThinkPotter and it is here that we will be held up to our ‘intelligent and mature discussion’ description.
The Pottering About forum should also follow our rules, but as this is a general discussion forum the tone is somewhat lighter and the moderating a bit more lenient.
The ThinkPotter Treehouse is our off-topic forum and we keep the moderating to a minimum, the only real rules are respect each other and try to keep on the topic your posting in, we understand that sometimes the conversation gets off track and if it has value we may let it go for a while, but either try to get back on topic soon or start a new thread. However if all your doing is going on about nothing in particular or trading jabs with other members, then you may be PM’d by an admin or mod to get back on track. So called offensive language that express the poster’s feelings in the course of a post can be acceptable, but if all you’re doing is stringing four letter words together then expect to be PM’d.
And as the rules state none of this pertains to Fight Club, the only real rule there is no personal attacks and that goes for the entire site.
The Other Worlds forum is for discussing the literary and cinematic realms of other authors or creators. Therefore we should give them as much respect as we do JK Rowling. The Scroll Your Own, In Your Own Words and the Portrait Hole are for original works by our members, they are sharing something very personal to them, so respect their work. It should be noted that these three forums are not readable to non-members. This post has been edited by Belorin on May 21 2005, 08:17 AM