Ok, I'm finally posting a topic for Ironhide!!! :)
I don't know how to get the pic to show, so you get a link, I'm sorry!
Anyway, on to more important things.
Ironhide took me about a month to complete. Mostly the 3 to 4 weeks before Botcon.
He's made out of Insulation Foam, Fiberglass and Bondo.
This was my first time working with all three materials, so I think he came out pretty well.
He is very heavy and my shoulders were crying the day after I wore him.
He debuted at Botcon 2010, so I'm sure a lot of you say him there.
-Insulation Foam (found at Lowes)
-Duct Tape on the inside
-Mailing Tape on the outside
-Scissors(x4, cause I killed them all)
-Exterior House Paint
-Bondo(found at Autozone)
-Fiberglass(found at Autozone)
-Cardboard (to mix the bondo on)
-and a big piece of wood to do all the bondo and fiberglass on.
How It's Made:
1) I measured and cut the insulation foam in to the pieces that I need. I used most of the measurements from my first costume, Jazz
2) All the insulation foam was put together with the mailing and duct tape.
3) I tested out the fiberglass resin on a piece of foam, and it ate through it, so I painted 2 to 3 heavy coats of exterior house paint on the foam.http://transformersfan4ever.deviantart.com...985820#/d2rr2jz
4)After the paint dryed on a extra piece of foam, I tested the resin again of the foam and it still ate through the foam, so I covered everything with mailing tape, YES EVERYTHING!
5) The resin wouldn't eat through the mailing tape, so after a few days of fiberglassing the pieces, they would ready for bondo.http://transformersfan4ever.deviantart.com...985820#/d2rr2ra
6) The bondo was harder to work with then I expected because, if you put too much hardener in the bondo, you have a very short time to use it. So after a few tries I finally learned how to use it. So after another week of work, the bondo was done.
7) Time to break out the sander! Thankfully my dad had a electric sander. I thought I would have to buy one. I think this was the most horrible part. Sanding all of the dents and nicks out of the bondo to make it smooth seemed like a lost cause. But again my dad helped me out. He gave me some spot putty to fill the dents in with. So after putting a light layer of the putty on and lightly sanding over it the peices were done.
Not perfectly smooth, but pretty dang close.
8) Finally ready for paint! I was so happy. At first, none of the colors looked good and i was really kicking myself for the colors I chose, but once Ironhide had a few coats of paint, he looked gooooood! B)
9) Then came the details.
The shoulders have little lips on them, so they can lay on the chest piece. They attach with long pieces of velcro.
There's a license plate on the back of Ironhide butt, but I never took a picture of it.
Then the wheels were put of the feet.
Then the chest window was painted on.
And finally the helmet.
The helmet was a job in itself.
I cut of the brim of a hardhat.
The sides are made out of fun foam, covered with tape and then bondo.
Then the face is funfoam too. With sunglasses for the eyes.
I think that's about it...
Problems: Very heavy
Glasses fog up with it gets really hot inside the helmet.
That's about it! Hope you like Ironhide!
I think he cost about $200-$250 to make.
Enjoy these pictures of when Ironhide met his voice Peter Cullen:http://transformersfan4ever.deviantart.com...985820#/d2sr3qohttp://transformersfan4ever.deviantart.com...985820#/d2sr43vhttp://transformersfan4ever.deviantart.com...985820#/d2sst2b