Welcome to TCos, the internet's most comprehensive resource for everything about robot cosplay. We are a dedicated community focused on building the best costumes ever to grace the fandom. We dig helping, we dig learning, but most of all, we dig giant robots!

(But mostly, it's a party in here.)

Admin/Mod

Pilot / MiraiBaby

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Transcostumers. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such posting, sending personal messages, voting in polls, and viewing member meet-ups. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post ) + replyNew topicNew Poll

Brawl, WfC / FoC
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Feb 6 2012, 09:09 AM

3D Artist
Group Icon

Group: Senior Member
Member No.: 110

user posted image

YAY. So this past week FoC Generations Brawl toy was announced. And so I set out to contacting "blaar" of the zealot.com forums (it's a papercrafting/cardcrafting forum if I understand it right) whom had shown that he managed to get the Brawl 3D mesh off of the game.
He has kindly sent me the file to work from to build this costume. <3

Start: 2/6/12
End: 4/28/12

Yup. I want to get him done for Botcon 2012 with the hopes that they'll have a toy of him in one of the cases that I can take a picture with. But the toy announcement + me finding someone who had the 3D files are only the spurs that have made me start on this. I've wanted to do WfC Brawl since after playing the game. biggrin.gif Just wanted to find the file first. God brought all this stuff together now, so let's do this! biggrin.gif

Oh yeah. And the DoTM / High Moon Studios guys are always nice. last year they took photos of me as Starscream (holding up a poster for them biggrin.gif), so this year, I hope they have a FoC demo and Brawl can go chill and take pictures with them. biggrin.gif better yet if they have a brawl cutout I can go stand next to. biggrin.gif *excited*

-----------------------------------------------------------
Cost:
Hunter's Green gloss Spray Paint: 3.67 x 4
Hosta Leaf gloss Spray Paint: 3.67 x 4 (one unused, half of one left)
Hot glue Sticks: 6.97 x 100
After tax: $39.33

So Brawl's at about double my usual budget. tongue.gif

--------------------
2014 - Senketsu&Junketsu-Officer Vi-Silver Knight-Origami Cyclone
2013 - Terminus Armor-Megaman-Lord Death-Tali
<12 - WfC Brawl-Gurren Lagann-Doc-Reaper Conduit-Rampage-Brawl-Camshaft-Jazz-Blackout-Starscream-Bumblebee
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Feb 6 2012, 09:12 AM

3D Artist
Group Icon

PLANNING

Alrighty, So the first thing I gotta do is make this wearable:
user posted image

SO I get to moving parts around in 3D, and delete anything that's not going to get built (sometimes it blocks mobility, or I have to move pieces closer together, effectively eliminating middle-man bits)

What I've come up with is something like this:
user posted image

Things to note:
-The position the human's arms are in here are not where mine will sit. Due to the problems I had with Movie!Brawl's arms (and this guy has the same proportion issues), I'm tentatively thinking of this velcro rig thing for the arms. basically, the position the arms are in in the mesh would be where it sits naturally. None of the weight is on my arms there, it's all on my shoulders. however, I should be able to create a handle in the elbow to lower arm where I can grab onto and pull his elbows into a more bent position for poses. shoulder mobility is totally theoretical at this point, and rather limited, but he's got not much room to move them anyway. Theoretically, I should be able to "shrug" the shoulders/sort of pick them up a few inches, and just basically have some very limited XYZ rotation.
-Dem hips. They are awesome, no? 8D
-His head will probably be glued in place....Why? Because the way his head fits into his torso, and because humans have big heads (the head is the only thing I have scaled), even if it was detached it couldn't turn. tongue.gif also...my eyes are here....
user posted image
So my own head can't turn much. tongue.gif

Also, yeah, I'm on platforms. If you see that arch in the middle of his foot, my foot sits on the arch on the inside.

---------------------------------------------------------
-2/9-

According to Pepakura, my final costume will be 6'8" tall, from turret to toe. biggrin.gif
And I'll be cutting out some 550 pieces of card (almost twice what you see below). ;.; When he's all glued together I should be able to get him down to like, thirty pieces or so. biggrin.gif
I don't believe he'll be super collapsible like even movie Brawl was (and he was huge) so I'm afraid he's going to take up as much room (WfC Brawl is overall, flatter and smaller pieces)....At least I'm driving to botcon this year. I should be able to somehow fit him inside of cam, as long as I can take off the turrets....

--------------------
<12 - WfC Brawl-Gurren Lagann-Doc-Reaper Conduit-Rampage-Brawl-Camshaft-Jazz-Blackout-Starscream-Bumblebee
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Feb 6 2012, 09:13 AM

3D Artist
Group Icon

PEPAKURA

strike....------------------
Askin' Nintendude & Ikariya if they'd import my 3D file to pepakura since I only have the free version :/ otherwise I'll have to do all my measuring old-fashioned like I've done with Brawl & Rampage. :'(
--------strike....

Nintendude got me a purchase code to unlock my pepakura. biggrin.gif so now I can import my 3d files and stuff. ^w^
I just need to figure it out now, before I can use it to print the parts. :3

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
-2/7-

All today I took the time in front of my cpu to get Brawl sorted and set up in Pepakura. I went ahead and also opened him in 3DS Max too, so I can get scales versus real life (in Max I scaled it to real life, but pepakura has different scales). I got it as close as possible (260%) and unwrapped his turret and head to be printed and put together today. A few issues and one reprint later, I realized Pepakura doesn't show the buffer edges of the paper (where it can't print) so my calculations were like, half an inch and 10-15% off D: but I made them anyway just to see how they looked and get a feel for how small they were compared to what they were supposed to be. smile.gif
user posted image
user posted image
The head almost fits on mine, so it's good to know my calculations were at least accurate to what I thought were the dimensions. smile.gif So next chance I get to sit down and work on him I'll be re-scaling him based on the new adjustments, and can hopefully jump right into printing the peps, and laying them out for transference to the shoe boxes for building. biggrin.gif

I also need to change his Targa texture file to a png or something because Pepakura is reading it all funny and weird. :/ and I want accurate paint. mmm....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-2/8-

So I take five minutes to properly scale Brawl with my new measurements while my lunch is cooling. It ends up being my FIRST guess yesterday at a nice even 300%. sleep.gif; Printing soon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-2/9-

Spent all day unfolding him. Here's the result, which still needs to be packed on the paper.
user posted image
Bottom row is pelvis to feet, row above it is shoulder to fingers, top right is trunk/torso/back.
Trash pile is...obvious tongue.gif
Highlighted piece is trash, it's some random box mesh in the foot. o.O Not sure if it's a particle left over from the rip, or if it was improperly placed when I altered for costume-ability, or what, but it's trash now. tongue.gif
Phew.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-2/20-

I've printed him out -233 pages for the one half O_O- and am cutting him out now.
user posted image
top section is foot +some head squeezed in there.
2 is Lower leg plus some head and hand.
Three is upper leg and pelvis.
four is shoulder and Upper arm.
five is lower arm to hands.
bottom is torso and back.

user posted image
What section I'm doing first. Foot + some head bits thrown in.
user posted image
The first section laid out.
[link] he's 233 sheets big - and that's only half of him. I'll have to use 90% of these paper pieces twice - to mirror the other half.
[link] His stack of papers all together. That's a lot of paper.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
5/6/12
- I finished cutting out ALL of his peps. Also found one odd error where one of the peps moved and intersected with the others...o.O fixed it in the file and will just be making due with the messed up one i have. Tape! hahaha

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Feb 6 2012, 09:14 AM

3D Artist
Group Icon

PRODUCTION / BUILD

FEET:

Toes:
[link] Paper transfer piece, cut and folded piece, and glued together piece! Shows you the process! smile.gif
[link] Toes!
[link]
[link]
Toe Hinge:
None. sad.gif Worked too fast.
Toe hinge Resrictor:
None
Main foot:
[link] Cut and folded
[link] Side.
[link] With finished one! smile.gif
Rear foot:
None
Rear foot thing:
None
Underfoot arch support thing:
None
Full shots:
[link] Every part EXCEPT the foot. tongue.gif
user posted image Yay! Right one shows the maximum movement the toe will be able to do.
[link] From the back now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOWER LEGS:

Lower Leg Box (this is the box where I didn't know where it went on facebook because it didn't move with some other stuff when i modified the model for costumability)
[link]
[link]
Lower Leg
[link] This section took 9-10 shoeboxes alone. :'[
[link] Cut
[link] Folded
[link] One completed leg next to yet unwrapped one.
[link] Other side
[link] YAY.
[link] Beautiful, fat legs! :3
[link]
Knee
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
Back Knee
[link]
Leg Tread Piece
Actual Treads x3
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
Ratbat ear (formerly Inner Leg Rest Thing)
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
Full Shots
[link]
user posted image
[link]
[link]
And here's a video of me wearing the legs and showing how they fit and move. (and how weird it is to walk, if possible.)

UPPER LEGS:

PELVIS:

Cod
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link] Rigged.
Front Hip Flap
[link]
Side Flaps
....See the full shots down below.
Rear hip Flaps
[link]
Full Shots
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
user posted image
[link]
[link]
[link]
SHOULDER:

UPPER ARMS:

LOWER ARMS:

HANDS:

TORSO:

BACK:

HEAD:

[link] laid on a Rice Crispies box.
[link] Visor halfway
[link] Everything folded...
[link] Some glue...
user posted image All except the crest! biggrin.gif And yes, I CAN see! smile.gif
[link] Side....
[link] back.
With the crest!
[link]
user posted image
[link]

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Feb 6 2012, 09:15 AM

3D Artist
Group Icon

PAINT / DISTRESSING

I has texture maps so I can canonically recreate his detailing. :3 To the best of my artistic abilities and time constraints D:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brawl's Green has been done via a base coat or two of the hunter green spray paint, which is too dark and saturated by itself.
Then a coat of the hosta leaf gets lightly added to lighten and desaturate the green. I'm happy with the resulting color. The hosta leaf by itself is far too light and desaturated.

his head has been painted with the base coat of dark grey, but at the moment it appears too dark to me.

Some of his energon veins (only the important/prominent ones so far) have been painting by mixing one part titanium white, one part cerulean blue, and 4 parts permanent magenta. I have yet to add any silver paint, or detailing/distressing.

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Feb 6 2012, 09:16 AM

3D Artist
Group Icon

WEAR / FULL-BODY SHOTS

vers. 0.8 (wearable, but not done, for AKon), can be found in this facebook gallery of the event, starting with this pic:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=101...&type=3&theater

user posted image

--------------------
MiraiBaby
Posted: Feb 6 2012, 12:54 PM

The Coolest Redhead On Earth
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderator
Member No.: 2

You are crazy.

LET'S HAVE SKYPE COSTUME PARTIES AGAIN. biggrin.gif

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Feb 6 2012, 07:01 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

Yes. But it's good to be in-character, I think.

YES PLZ. T-minus two weeks till I move. Then I can begin headlong into Brawl, if I can't manage to get some preliminary stuff done this week. :3

edit: oh yeah, and I never mentioned that blaar included the texture in the file as well.
user posted image
EPIC.
I can have a canonical texture to boot! biggrin.gif

--------------------
MiraiBaby
Posted: Feb 6 2012, 07:29 PM

Group Icon

Oh good lord, this is just gonna be COOL. Good luck working your aft off in time for BotCon!

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Feb 7 2012, 06:23 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

I know, right? ;.; Not looking forward to that, but hey!

UPDATE! biggrin.gif
I did what it says in the post. tongue.gif

Can't work on him again till Thursday at the earliest. :/ Got lots of schoolwork to do that I didn't do today. ninja.gif

--------------------
Velocity
Posted: Feb 9 2012, 05:30 PM

100% Robot
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

This looks amazing so far!

Pep looks so cool, maybe one of these days I'll stop doing the just eyeballing it and start using pepakura. (And it could be another TF:A Arcee! *is shot*)

I hope you can get it done in time for Botcon.

--------------------
user posted image
Drag Strip: 90% (Redo face)
Astoria Carlton-Ritz: 90% (needs necklace repairs and hat)
Arcee 2.0: 100% COMPLETED YAY
TFP Knockout: 80%
pm@
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Feb 9 2012, 07:42 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

Thanks Velocity. smile.gif Hahaa, I don't know if you'd like Pepakura or not. tongue.gif

smile.gif I'm gonna try! biggrin.gif

So! Probably the last update for a week, cause I go back to work tomorrow, then move, then work, and more moving, and work, etc. until about....the 19th/20th. :/ In fact, I probably won't be online much at all next week. :[ But then afterwards I can totally get my stuff out and begin on physical construction stuff again. biggrin.gif

And then I wanna go back and edit eventually to the thumbs I usually post instead of these bigger pictures, XD sooo big, and they aren't even full size :/

--------------------
IBKUP
Posted: Feb 13 2012, 11:43 AM

25% Robot

Group: Members
Member No.: 298

That's cool that you are doing this all in Max and Pepakura.
pm@
Candlehat
Posted: Feb 18 2012, 08:49 PM

50% Robot

Member No.: 221

Wow, I can just tell this is going to be great! 8D *claps hands* Can't wait for more updates!

--------------------

Current costume:
TFA Bumblebee-%100 (to be posted)
TF:P Ratchet -%20 (ON HOLD)

Costume queue:
None at the moment!

My dA: Candycane-candle

NatsumeRyu
Posted: Feb 20 2012, 06:26 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

Thanks Kup! (can I call you that?) I can't really make mock-ups like some of the others, but I can build and do pre-production stuff on the computer just fine. biggrin.gif

And thanks Candlehat! I bet you're excited 'cause - UPDATE!

I'm settled in my new place and have PLENTY of room to spread his peps out over the floor! I've just about cut out all of his foot Peps, and about half his head. Once I get the foot completely cut out, I'll go ahead and begin transcribing to the cardstock because I don't want to have too many loose pep pieces floating around for me to mix up. The uncut and untouched peps so far are sorted into a stack of papers, alternating by row so they're easy to navigate sections of. So both feet should be the first pieces built here soon. I should have plenty of time to work on him until Thursday. I'll get as much done as possible. smile.gif

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 09:58 AM

3D Artist
Group Icon

Brawl's toes are done! biggrin.gif
[link]
Also, his head and feet peps are all cut out. Just need to be transferred to the shoe boxes, cut, folded, and glued like the toes.

If I'm fast I may be able to get the [entire] feet done as soon as tomorrow. biggrin.gif

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Feb 26 2012, 03:46 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

Feet done. :3
So I decided the foot and toe will be seperate so it's easier to walk. I'm also gonna attach them with velcro so they're removable for transport (not quite as long) and if they come off from being stressed or something they can easily be reattached. biggrin.gif

Lower legs are next. 83

--------------------
Candlehat
Posted: Feb 26 2012, 07:45 PM

50% Robot

You has tosies! biggrin.gif
This is looking so amazing so far! <3

--------------------

Current costume:

Costume queue:
None at the moment!

NatsumeRyu
Posted: Mar 1 2012, 07:17 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

Thankees! <3

Okay, so I still have 6 kibble pieces yet to transfer and make tomorrow, but the *actual* lower leg is done! smile.gif
[link]
Had a costuming party with Mirai to help me get the left leg put together tonight, and hope to be able to get all twelve of those kibble bits done tomorrow during another party. smile.gif Then the lower legs will be done and I can move onto the upper leg and pelvis/skirt pieces on Sunday or so. smile.gif

--------------------
MiraiBaby
Posted: Mar 1 2012, 07:29 PM

Group Icon

I love costuming parties. biggrin.gif Can't wait for our next one!

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Mar 3 2012, 09:44 AM

3D Artist
Group Icon

I HAVE WEARABLE LEGS & FEET!
yay.

user posted image
user posted image
I'm concerned about the foam in the feet atm and will be reinforcing it more next chance I get.
I don't think I'll be walking much, as usual, and if I do, I'll probably just have tho take the feet off. But if I can make some sort of fun foam straps in the feet, that I can slip into and sort of hold my feet in then I might be able to walk. smile.gif Shoes/sandals won't fit very well though. I might even "make" some smaller sandals out of card and fun foam...lol.

Also, images added of the progress I'm up to on the lower leg build. Two pieces left to cut out - knee and the "back knee." smile.gif Hope to get those tomorrow.

--------------------
Candlehat
Posted: Mar 3 2012, 08:02 PM

50% Robot

Oh my gosh, these are so great as usual! Love 'em.

--------------------

Current costume:

Costume queue:
None at the moment!

NatsumeRyu
Posted: Mar 26 2012, 09:06 AM

3D Artist
Group Icon

So, I haven't updated in a while...work has been madness...

UPDATE.

The feet are rigged. The lower legs are finished (back and front knee made & attached). I skipped the upper legs for now, and the PELVIS is finished! biggrin.gif Next up are the shoulders/upper arms.

In the facebook gallery, the progress shots for the pelvis should make a lot more sense there, since the cod especially is made of like 5-6 smaller pieces alone - which had to be cut to fit each other.

And I have tomorrow off. Totally starting on the upper arms tomorrow. :3

--------------------
Pilot
Posted: Mar 26 2012, 06:28 PM

Good Cop
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1

Wow, Nat, your costumes keep getting impressiver and impressiver!

--------------------
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

user posted image
I have a webcomic! Read it!
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 06:09 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

Thankees Pilot! <3

Brawl has a head now. :3 (Still needs the crest)
And with it, you can imagine how big his chest is going to be, seeing where his head sits on mine. It'll give you an idea... :S
Let's just say I may be able to put like..a fancy control panel in there one day, XD if i figure out how to do electronics and stuff tongue.gif

And also you can see I used that material I mentioned I was gonna use for Doc's visor too. I'm sooo happy with it biggrin.gif (Looks weird in pictures, looks pretty awesome in person biggrin.gif

edit: 4/11
Finished the crest and threw it on the helm! helm is done!~ biggrin.gif

--------------------
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  + replyNew topicNew Poll

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1710 seconds | Archive