Welcome to TCos, the internet's most comprehensive resource for everything about robot cosplay. We are a dedicated community focused on building the best costumes ever to grace the fandom. We dig helping, we dig learning, but most of all, we dig giant robots!

(But mostly, it's a party in here.)

Admin/Mod

Pilot / MiraiBaby

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Transcostumers. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such posting, sending personal messages, voting in polls, and viewing member meet-ups. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

+ replyNew topicNew Poll

G1 Jazz, by NatsumeRyu
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Nov 23 2009, 04:54 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

Group: Senior Member
Member No.: 110

I'm building a G1 Jazz costume for Thunder-n-Lightning of deviantART. smile.gif

The challenges here include me never building a [full body] G1 costume before, and the fact that I have never met in person whom I'm building the costume for. Sure it could turn out to be a complete disaster, but there's always the chance for success too. smile.gif If nothing else, it coud be a human-sized Jazz to stick in her room. XD

Anyway, onto the costume:

Originally, before planning, my goals were either to make it G1 accurate, or transformable. G1 accurate I think could look a lot better, so I'll probably be messing with it's aesthetics a little, and transformable, I think, is out of my skill set right now, but I'm not locked into that yet. It's still early in the game.

Right now I have plans on paper and in my computer. I started building it in 3D for measurement purposes, and it's sort of turning into an early test of what I want the costume to actually look like.

So, to see sketches of the front and side views I have so far, go here and you can view what I have of the model too by downloading. smile.gif
http://natsumeryu.deviantart.com/art/G1-Ja...in-3D-144579239

--------------------
2014 - Senketsu&Junketsu-Officer Vi-Silver Knight-Origami Cyclone
2013 - Terminus Armor-Megaman-Lord Death-Tali
<12 - WfC Brawl-Gurren Lagann-Doc-Reaper Conduit-Rampage-Brawl-Camshaft-Jazz-Blackout-Starscream-Bumblebee
MiraiBaby
Posted: Nov 23 2009, 08:52 PM

The Coolest Redhead On Earth
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderator
Member No.: 2

That would be pretty neat to see another Jazz costume out there!

However, I know from experience, as do many others, I'm sure, that building a costume for someone that is not there with you to test the pieces on is highly difficult. I myself measured out my body's different measurements when making my own Jazz cotume, and I still had to modify some of the measurements as I figured out what works and what doesn't.

Also, I know that building a G1 costume for the first time will be a struggle. Making Jazz myself was tough, as it was the first time I had worked with many of the materials myself.

I will say that what you want to complete is a pretty lofty goal, simply because you don't have the person there with you to test the pieces on and you've never done a costume, but I will say I wish you luck. I believe you're going to need it!

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Nov 24 2009, 02:12 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

Thank you. I'm super thankful that Jazz has been done so many times on this forum, because I'm getting a lot of experience from reading through y'alls experiences on building your Jazz's. Like on the pelvis, for example. Everyone has issues with making it too large the first time around. Heads, too, are always too big since the TF helms are included in the relative size of the head, so we have less space for our skulls....I'm trying to troubleshoot all of this early on and nail it in design...and I'm really loving the 3D at this point since it helps me see how much space I have, how loose a part will be, how much room for play, where I will need supports, etc.

Even if I hate modeling the pieces individually, lol.
Thanks for your support. It means a lot, since I know I'm taking a big bite, a big step out here.... I'm hoping that means I'll improve proportionally though. When building these things is a hobby, you can use as much learning as you can on every costume.

Ok, well, I feel like I'm getting worked into a speal here, so I'll cut myself off and get back to work. smile.gif One thing that I'll at least get from this is more design experience (which is one reason I was so eager to do a G1 costume next). I'd like to design these costumes more (tons of ideas), even though I can't build 'em all. Then I coould post 'em for other people to use.

--------------------
<12 - WfC Brawl-Gurren Lagann-Doc-Reaper Conduit-Rampage-Brawl-Camshaft-Jazz-Blackout-Starscream-Bumblebee
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Nov 25 2009, 12:17 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

Updates: Since this costume is sort of a gift for someone, I still wanted to have an extra gimmick to wearing it (in case I fail at getting measurements just right and they can't wear it?) so I'm going to try and follow Sedra's lead and make the costume transformable when not worn. It's a lot simpler and looks a lot better than a transformable-when-worn costume (not to mention the huge hurdles of getting everything to line up). I'm really optimistic about this since I've drawn up some preliminary sketches and I'm confident I can find a way to make it work.
Another advantage to this is it can still be very G1, but because of the added complexity solves some of the aesthetic issues I wanted to fix. The legs finally won't be so straight/flat up and down, but a bit more tapered (the feet will be a bit wider D:).

The upper legs and lower arms, plus the pelvis probably won't all fit inside it, but they can be stored seperately.

The references I'm using for my project are:

G1 Jazz toy review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqUZ2aW39LI
Sedra's Jazz Costume: http://z4.invisionfree.com/transcostumers/...p?showtopic=219
Mirai's Jazz Blog: http://jazzcos.blogspot.com/
Talon's Worklog: http://z4.invisionfree.com/transcostumers/...p?showtopic=567

And if you're interested, here are some sketches on paper I did at some point.
Earliest sketches, a head study and preliminary leg designs:
http://natsumeryu.deviantart.com/art/Jazz-...pts-1-144759825

New sketches: a study of how i want his vehicle mode to look when stored (and some notes to myself about other pieces and how they look/detatch/store, etc):
http://natsumeryu.deviantart.com/art/jazz-...ncept-144760015

Working on a new 3D model to represent this change.

Edit:
Pumped out a quick thing to help me see where stuff'll be, how it'll fit in car mode:
view underneath: http://natsumeryu.deviantart.com/art/underneath1-144769985
3/4 back view: http://natsumeryu.deviantart.com/art/3-4-back-144770359
3/4 front view: http://natsumeryu.deviantart.com/art/3-4-Front-144770470
Download to view the rough 3D model: http://natsumeryu.deviantart.com/art/3D-Ja...ncept-144772556

so my plan based on the above consists of this - the chest is one piece - that's most of the front end of the car. the roof and door window is a few hinged pieces - the front and top of the roof (with door window) is one piece. the rear of the roof/rear window is a hinged piece which folds up underneath. In the front is the little square piece that covers where the neck/ head goes - this folds underneath the roof. I plan to have little knobs on either side on top of this piece which is how it shall hang off jazz's back in robot mode. i want to make them look a bit like the windshield wash sprayers that go on car hoods, so it doesn't look out of place in car mode.
the door will be hinged so the rear of the front fender (the other part of the front of the car that's not part of the torso) and the front wheel fold over it in robot mode - I'm thinking the upper arms will be attached on the inside of the doors. The rest of the car - the rear - is fun. the rear view window covers up the holes that go into the rear (for wearer's feet). The spoiler's on a hinge so it plops back, then you attached the upper part of the lower legs to it. woop.

so now that i've got the basic idea nailed down, i'll start on a real model of this that gets the measurements that i need, and is in robot mode so i have all the pieces present and shown in what proportion they are. i'm fighting myself against whether or not to do "every piece" that i would do in real life like i started on the very first concept model. it's just so time consuming and boring, but i don't know if its worth it.

anyway, ill get started on that tonight hopefully. for now im off to work. smile.gif

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Nov 27 2009, 02:15 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

'nother update.

I moved the car parts over my human model to get a feel and ideas for how to work the arms mostly, and also to see how the car looks on a person. In the end I've ditched the "door jointed to fender/tire" idea in favor of having the upper part of the lower legs attached to the door, and sticking a now jointed tire and fender on the upper arms, like I saw in one of Jazz's designs (I think it's a comic book design). So, can you tell me what you think of this design? Does it still say "Jazz"?

user posted image

Oh, I didn't bother rotating the spoiler back...etc. Just wanna know if this could still be recognized as Jazz with car parts in this formation.
Other unbohered parts (pelvis) will probably still be pretty close to G1 for now.

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Dec 9 2009, 09:53 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

ninja.gif Phew, update.

Latest Sketches

These are the last sketches I think I'll have to do before building the thing [realistically, to size and such] in 3D.

The only design spec I haven't nailed down yet is the back - that is, I don't know whether to build a piece for the back yet or not (between the backpack/roof and chest/front of the car. It might look better that way in 'bot mode, but otherwise it'll be pretty useless. So I'm wondering what you guys think.
Personally I suppose it depends on how much of the backpack/ roof covers the back....

Doing these sketches gave me some ideas of how to increase aesthetic appeal in the joints, but I'll have to test it out first to make sure I don't make a fool of myself. smile.gif

And ILoveDinobot [unintentionally] gave me the idea to use cardstock in this costume at some point, by using it in hers. It's pretty sturdy for how thin it is, and can reinforce some of the weaker stuff I'm using.

I'm also betting on using those rare earth magnets I've seen some of you use, assuming I can get my hands on some. So I'll have to research that a bit....

--------------------
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Topic Options + replyNew topicNew Poll

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1918 seconds | Archive