Welcome to TCos, the internet's most comprehensive resource for everything about robot cosplay. We are a dedicated community focused on building the best costumes ever to grace the fandom. We dig helping, we dig learning, but most of all, we dig giant robots!

(But mostly, it's a party in here.)

TCos Wants to Move!

Want to help TCos get its own forum, complete with image galleries, wiki, articles, info databases, and more? Then we need your help!

So the $100 goal has so far been met-- but I'll be leaving the donation link up until the move because as far as hosting goes, you really can't have enough funds saved up for that sort of thing. Thanks to everyone who contributes!

For information about progress and ideas, check out this subforum.

Featured

Nobody right now... :[

Admin/Mod

Pilot / MiraiBaby

Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Transcostumers. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such posting, sending personal messages, voting in polls, and viewing member meet-ups. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

What to post here:

Robot costumes (solid rigs and softies)
Full-body armor suits (ex: Iron Man, Samus)
Mecha/vehicle costumes (ex: AT-ATs)

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post ) + replyNew topicNew Poll

Rampage / Skipjack, Movieverse
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Jul 4 2011, 12:09 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

Group: Senior Member
Member No.: 110

So, some might've seen this guy in my sig for a while. He's been on my mind for some time. Well, now I'm finally getting around to working on him.
START: IRL physical construction officially started 7/11/11
FINISH: for Glitch Con; by September 9th.

References:
Movie:
user posted image
Concept Art:
user posted image
user posted image
Figures:
user posted image
Man, I love this guy.

Materials:
Cardstock (shoeboxes & food packaging)
Cardboard (thin, shoeboxes)
Fun Foam - yellow, grey/silver, black
Paper Foam (stuff)
Hot Glue
Acrylic Paint
Elastic
Velcro
Under Armour

Cost:
Funky Foam (neon yellow): 1 sheet - $0.86 picture
[Mini] Glue Sticks: 125 sticks - $5.28 picture
Magnets (basic Elements): 52 pack - $6.16 picture
Sew-On Velcro/Hook & Loop: 3/4" x 3' - $0.84 picture
Everything else is pre-owned &/or acquired for free

--------------------
2014 - Senketsu&Junketsu-Officer Vi-Silver Knight-Origami Cyclone
2013 - Terminus Armor-Megaman-Lord Death-Tali
<12 - WfC Brawl-Gurren Lagann-Doc-Reaper Conduit-Rampage-Brawl-Camshaft-Jazz-Blackout-Starscream-Bumblebee
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Jul 4 2011, 12:10 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

Pre-Production

The idea for this costume is to have a foam sort of netting/cage underneath the parts (like I did for Brawl's under torso bit) to hold all of it together, with cardstock and card board for the supporting structures. He has LOTS of armor, and most of it's thin, so I thought Fun Foam would be a good choice this time around for the main stuff, and since I found out about the magic of fun foam on Brawl. I'll be using Cardstock for backing certain, if not all pieces, to help them keep their shape, and just plain cardstock where fun foam might not be good.

The treads/whips will be made of the same stuff I made Brawl's treads out of (the "paper foam" as I call it), as long as I have enough left of it. smile.gif

Initial problems I'm encountering is finding exactly the type of foam I want locally, and hopefully already in black and yellow.

Yes, I've decided he will be yellow. Red really doesn't show up on film quite right, and orange is not my favourite color (some of his toys are orange, and it's a compromise between red and yellow). Furthermore, it'll make his exhaust and dirt /damage marks pop that much more. biggrin.gif
If I can't find the kind of foam I want, I'll probably make him all cardstock.

My legs will not be bound together, sort of like how the toys' legs seperate. But I can still stick my legs together and Boingy- boingy-boing! XD

I also want to have some working hinge joints in some places on this guy, and the front pair of pistons I would like to be able to slide as I move.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2D) ART:
Initial imaging/concept work:
This is to help me figure out how I want the costume to fit and work, and if it is even conceivable (the character as a costume). It's the first thing I do when I decide I want to build a costume and God gives me the go-ahead.

user posted imageuser posted image

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turnaround sheet / Costume Design Reference:
Here is where I draw out the character (based on my reference material), and figure out exactly what shapes I want to build into the costume, and how it will be worn.

The final orthographic image for use in Maya.
user posted image

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(3D) ART:

Day one:
Day one's progress. I'm still trying to understand the shapes in the leg, and playing with the design as I mix and match all of my references.
Day two:
More of the legs, and more playing with the design to be cool as a costume. Still some empty space on the back of the legs. Plan to fill it up with his huge piston - yet to be modeled.
Mirrored, to show the effect of the combined legs:
Day 4 (day 3 is one pic on my facebook...):
No arms yet, but pretty much everything else.
It's difficult to understand, and get his shapes to sit the way they should on a person. I worked a good amount of time into his outline/silhouette, so it's getting harder to see a human shape under his parts. A side effect of that was changing the proportions of a few parts, and moving them around a little bit to cover up some emptiness from a human's long torso (Rampage may as well not have anything between what would be a rib cage and the hips...). tongue.gif
Day 4, part deux:
FINISHED. PHEW.
user posted image

--------------------
<12 - WfC Brawl-Gurren Lagann-Doc-Reaper Conduit-Rampage-Brawl-Camshaft-Jazz-Blackout-Starscream-Bumblebee
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Jul 4 2011, 12:13 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

HEAD
086% Complete
100% Build
100% Rig
090% Paint
025% Details

MECHANISM:
[strike]The plan for his head - because he's hunched over with a long neck (or, if you prefer, his head protrudes from the front of his torso), and I want him to be able to move his head, is to have a simple mechanism connected to my head so his moves left and right when I turn my head (his head doesn't exactly turn...). The idea sprang from a wooden snake toy I bought when I visited Australia, plus some simple ingenuity my part to make it more controllable than aforementioned snake toy.[/strike]
I see now in 3D, my head has little/no room to turn left and right, and I think creating this mechanism might take too long / be too prone to break / etc. endless problems, so he'll have a static rig...though because of how long it is it's prone to be bouncy, lol.

Here's the top of the neck, without any supports currently.
and the lower neck pieces

face cut out,
folded...

and glued together!
Comparison of the real thing with the cg model. smile.gif

Headsock/mask:
pattern
worn. smile.gif

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Jul 4 2011, 12:14 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

TORSO
090% Complete
100% Build
100% Rig
090% Paint
000% Details

The main torso rig, with the braces & back piece.

user posted image
A completed piston! Shown working, here:
http://youtu.be/shVlsGDcuF8

The pistons extended and then scrunched back up. smile.gif

The lower half of the torso + pistons, back and front respectively.

user posted image
Worn!~

user posted image
parts of the torso, + upper legs rigged together, and I'm sort of thinking of leaving them like that for taking on/off.

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Jul 4 2011, 12:15 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

LEGS
070% Complete
100% Build
050% Rig
090% Paint
010% Details

[strike]My idea for these is to make the insides of the legs flat to sit together when they need to - and to have magnets to keep everything aligned when i put my legs together. :3[/strike]
While working on the 3D, I realized that would mean less bending of my knees available....so flat pieces is scrapped, and I'm just going to have to wing some interior leg design but still have magnets to make it line up.
Parts of his upper legs will not detach all the way - like his piston in the back, so it's a little like a skirt, like that. XD

Upper Legs:
Left half of the middle (knee) and most of the upper legs laid out on the floor, with some rigging laying next to it as well.
Both legs.

Lower Legs:
user posted image

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Jul 4 2011, 12:18 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

ARMS
060% Complete
100% Build
100% Rig
090% Paint
010% Detail

Hands:
user posted image
videos showing joint:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPfAix3_2M4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blWf4axpHlY

Lower Arms:
Update2:
Bits of the lower arm!
video of mobility:
http://youtu.be/rS3WKf015es

Somewhere along the line I did the hands different than I planned in 3D...o.O
http://youtu.be/NOqyX7PSxUU

update3:
Most of the lower arm. About 99% done.
http://youtu.be/UUMy-aHFMFQ

Upper Arms:
update 4....the upper arms & shoulders are done after four days of work.
Shoulders:
user posted image
Upper arms + shoulders together:
user posted image
http://youtu.be/Fry-8VKFaBc

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Jul 4 2011, 12:26 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

EXTRAS/FULL-BODY SHOTS

Like always, I want to make light-up stuff, but I don't plan on having that done in time for Glitch Con (maybe Halloween). First off, I have to learn how to do it. Second will be acquiring the necessary materials.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
im starting to bre able to see this come together. smile.gif

test run of the torso + pelvis + upper upper legs.
user posted image
Only concern during that was the lower half of the pistons are fairly heavy, so one day, if the velcro doesn't do it's job I may have to glue some things together.

GL!TCH CON 2011~~~
I *didn't* quite get Ramp/Jack done in time for the con. by the time sunday rolled around, i had some stuff i wasn't sure how to rig by myself, and plenty of stuff left to be painted. I had my new friends in Nintendude, and his fellow 405THer, and said friend's father (the photographer for a good number of pictures of me at the con) rig my last few pieces, and I went on a rampage in the costumes' full first test run in a not quite all painted outfit! XD but it was fun and I still got so many compliments!
user posted image
user posted image

edit:
link
Photo by Elizabeth.
link
Two photos of the back by Kat.

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Jul 6 2011, 06:02 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

:3 I've moved out of the design stage and today started on the 3D that I will use to measure and build the real pieces. :3

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Jul 10 2011, 11:31 AM

3D Artist
Group Icon

3D is FINISHED! Phew!
I knocked that out in four days - now I need to start collecting MOAR materials. So far I've been bringing home lots of shoeboxes from work. Other cashiers have helped me too. XD They're so much nicer than the back room workers >.>; Heheh, anyway.
So, I have some black fun foam left from Brawl, Mom's found and given me one grey/silver piece, and I bought one yellow sheet last week. I've also dragged out my tread material, glue gun, and paints from storage, so I'm just about ready to get started on something physical! smile.gif

edit: oh, and I just found out about there being an image limit per post - LOL.

--------------------
Talon4ce
Posted: Jul 10 2011, 09:29 PM

75% Robot
Group Icon

Member No.: 27

I love how hardcore this is smile.gif
pm@
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Jul 11 2011, 06:46 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

@ Talon4ce: HARDCOOOOORE - - - cuteness!!! :3 With those cute li'l whips. Psht. XD ...As always, I'm putting my best foot forward, and gonna see the best way to make a cheap costume biggrin.gif

Ok, so today was day one of construction. I cut out the lower part of the whips, which I will be thrashing about, and a about a finger out of cardstock/mock-up thingie.

It REALLY threw me for a loop today because I'd forgotten how I was measuring and making brawl's parts! XD
So I'm typing out my technique here so I don't forget again. XD

Step1: Measure EVERY EDGE (in EVERY axis in 3D space). That means triangulating the 3D mesh. Something I initially forgot to do. XP

Step2: Figure out what's going to be connected where when it's laid out flat on paper. Like unwrapping ( a 3D texturer's term).

Step3: Measure out the first edge on the material (I usually do one of the longest first).
Then measure out the next connected edge's initial distance with a dot at it's endpoint. Find the last side of the triangle and try to connect to aforementioned dot. Unless you're awesome with angles or occasionally just get it, you'll have to readjust and make another dot. Repeat until the proper lengths for each edge of the triangle are reached, for every triangle of that part.

Step4: Cut out shape.
Step5: Score the backing (whichever side won't be seen) of each edge, even if it's not supposed to bend much. It keeps bends clean when they do occur.

Step6: Bend each edge as necessary.
Step 7...Glue to appropriate place. smile.gif

Anyway, not much progress for the day, but here:
user posted image
Insides
other_outer_view

Also...something important...before bending the pieces, if you need more than one copy and don't want to have to measure each one over and over (angles and all) I recommend tracing your initial cut out piece. I remembered to do that on the front and back pieces for the finger, but not the big, complicated side piece, XD
So. step 5.5...copy as necessary XD

--------------------
Pilot
Posted: Jul 11 2011, 06:52 PM

Good Cop
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 1

Ffffffffff how did I miss this! AWESOME

--------------------
user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

user posted image
I have a webcomic! Read it!
MiraiBaby
Posted: Jul 11 2011, 08:08 PM

The Coolest Redhead On Earth
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderator
Member No.: 2

You are crazy.

GOGOGO! Can't WAIT to see this done! biggrin.gif

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Jul 16 2011, 11:12 AM

3D Artist
Group Icon

HANDS have been updated. smile.gif hope to have the whole lower arm done being cut out by next week.

--------------------
MiraiBaby
Posted: Jul 16 2011, 04:29 PM

Group Icon

It's fun watching her work on Skipjack in the Skype window ..... She's rather funny. tongue.gif

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Jul 19 2011, 01:59 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

QUOTE (MiraiBaby @ Jul 16 2011, 04:29 PM)
It's fun watching her work on Skipjack in the Skype window ..... She's rather funny. tongue.gif

B| I'm watching you Mirai. Or, better yet. Bumblebee is. biggrin.gif

O____O

OK! UPDAET TIEM.
Spent most of my day making this.
I would like to get the rest of the lower arm done soon, but I'm running out of day, and my next day off isn't until Saturday. I still need to log on to school today. Sadness!

Should I mention I do both sides at once? So I'm at equal progress on either side of the costume at any given point. smile.gif

--------------------
MiraiBaby
Posted: Jul 19 2011, 02:01 PM

Group Icon

DUDE, no. We all know how terrifying that Bee is. So not cool. :k

Lovin' progress!

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Jul 24 2011, 10:59 AM

3D Artist
Group Icon

Lower arm's 'bout 99% completely built.
I'm hoping that during the Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday I have off this week to get another chunk of him done. smile.gif I have his toes done too (the lowest armor on the legs), but nothing else on the legs, so I'll update that when I do more on the legs.

Plan on picking up Rare earth magnets today - right now. Baibai!~

--------------------
MiraiBaby
Posted: Jul 24 2011, 05:02 PM

Group Icon

Those look awesome!!! I can't wait to see more! biggrin.gif

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Jul 27 2011, 06:57 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

Upper arms & Shoulders will be done by tomorrow. Video shows everything but one bit of the shoulders attached (and I'm guessing you won't notice which part it is biggrin.gif). a little more work assembling the other arm has to be done (that's the tomorrow bit, lol).

So the arms are pretty much done being built. I'll paint them sometime, then, once the torso is built I can rig the arms (they attach to the torso). then the multitude of details in fun foam and paint wear I need to do. smile.gif But they're built! yay!

Also! I chopped out about half of the neck while putting off the vicious circles in the shoulders yesterday.
Did I mention I hate circles? @_@;

So torso and neck rig I'm planning on working on building next after whatever with the arms...not sure when my next day off is. probably not till Monday again, so cheers!~ smile.gif

EDIT:
Shoulders are 100% built. I also glued together the parts of the Neck I had cut out already.

Building-wise I will need to do the torso next - head & neck will have to come afterward. But I'm debating whether the paint the arms before doing more building.

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Aug 3 2011, 04:22 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

Torso has been updated with some of my progress. I have more parts of the torso (all of the torso, actually, except the part which the pistons attach to at their bottoms), but none shown yet because they haven't been rigged.

Speaking of rigging, the pistons upper halves will be rigged shortly, along with the other torso pieces. Pics will have to wait until I likely get that last torso piece done and rigged so it's not so weighted on the back by those heavy upper arms.
Rigged here:
user posted image

smile.gif

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Aug 11 2011, 12:35 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

UPDATES :]
Video

Both the head and lower half of the torso have been mostly rigged.

With this, all of the torso has been cut out (not all of it rigged in the video). minus details, of course. looks really plain without the fancy details, especially on the pistons ~:[ Oh, and I think I'ma chop one inch off the top part of the pistons. They look too long.
[edit:] Just finished rigging the entire torso (video) and test wore it. It's like wearing a brace for your whole trunk/torso! XD And I'll definitely be chopping at least an inch off the upper piston tubes due to I can't extend them far enough for as cool as I wanted them to look. Yay aesthetics. And I'm so happy that the torso is done.

Also, I just realized I glued a piece on backwards...d'oh...will fix that next chance I'm working on rampage....[/edit]

The head/neck is mostly rigged too...I still need to fix the way it sits/settles - hopefully with my jaw so it'll bounce when I talk like it initially did when I tried it out. biggrin.gif And I need some rig stuff to keep it centered up top too.

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Aug 19 2011, 08:30 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

Just to update for the week, much yellow-orange and black-ish painting was done, and, as of this post, his three lower leg/foot pieces. :B
user posted image
Log percentages have been updated accordingly. smile.gif
Pictures will likely come after details. No point, to me, in posted colored versions of stuff unless they're finished now, lol. Also...less than a month left! I'm getting nervous/antsy! D:

I'm going to focus on building and rigging the legs/feet now to have him all built and finished. Then painting everything, and lastly details in fun foam and more detail painting/wear.... smile.gif Hope to have his legs done next week. Leaves two weeks for painting and details... D:

--------------------
NatsumeRyu
Posted: Aug 27 2011, 02:22 PM

3D Artist
Group Icon

T-minus two weeks! ohmy.gif

Test-Run Of the torso and waist/upper leg bits.
I've got ~10 unique pieces left to cut out for the upper legs, mirror them, so twenty pieces left to build and rig for the legs to be test-run able. :x

Other than that, the facial features are the only other bits not yet cut out. Once the legs and face are ready, then I've got to paint like the dickens, and do the details, and also somewhere in there test run everything together to make sure it works as a whole. XD It would stink if I ended up having too many problems. tongue.gif So, yeah.

Today's and yesterdays work consisted of working on the pelvis/upper-upper legs and bits of the lower leg respectively. Most of said pieces are also rigged too, with exception to some fancy spikes that velcro on.
Oh yeah, and i made my hood last night too! :3

--------------------
Blurr
Posted: Aug 29 2011, 12:59 AM

50% Robot

Group: Members
Member No.: 302

Loving it!!
pm@
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  + replyNew topicNew Poll

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3567 seconds | Archive